Monday, November 02, 2009

What's Happening With Me

I, for the first time in days, am able to access the net through a library computer.

Events of the last few days.

Last Sunday my computer gave me its first clue that something was going wrong when it started to reset itself regularly (ie it would act as if someone had hit the reset button that computers used to have.) It would suddenly turn off and start up again. I figured it was a power-supply problem and the computer was rather old (about 4 - 4 1/2 years) so I started arranging to get another one.

I believe that it was Monday that I posted that I was experiencing problems and that it may be a while without a posting. That afternoon I had purchased a laptop that is fine, but I was not set up to get it on the net. Tuesday I completely lost my old computer just as I was transferring files to a disc. It's power supply was dead, dead . . . dead.

Wednesday and Thursday I was up in Bay City visiting my parents, who don't have net access.

Friday, Saturday and Sunday I work a lot of hours and my hours did not allow me to use the library.

I want to keep my old IPS (along with its benefits) so I have declined to go wireless at this time, until my provider starts offering it. I am having trouble connecting my new system to the net so I will be paying for a service call in a day or two. Until then it's Library Computer time. I did purchase a used computer tower and had my old drive installed as a slave drive on it, so I am able to rescue old files, and, for now, I intend to use it rather than the laptop as my main internet connection, but right now it doesn't seem to want to connect.

9 Comments:

Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Hey Shop, send me an e-mail, would you? I'd like to chat about your computer. I'm at milepost154@yahoo.com.

Thanks.

BZ

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Chuck said...

I can't stand having problems with computers, since I know about as much about the technical side of the darn things as I do about conjugating Eskimo.

Hope yours are resolved with as little hassle as possible.

2:37 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

What a headache!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Computers are great...until they screw up.

Unless the power supply messed up the motherboard, you should be able to have the power supply replaced & get your old computer back.

6:13 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

We just switched to a new wireless service, it took 2 weeks, 2 routers, 2 different providers, and a lot of time on the phone with tech support to get it right.

Fortunately we previously were using our cell phones as tethers so we were able to keep them active until we got the new service up and running so no downtime.

It's a headache though

6:46 PM  
Blogger Pasadena Closet Conservative said...

God bless America and her plethora of public libraries!

12:57 AM  
Blogger Z said...

For completely selfish reasons, I'm relieved I haven't missed your posts because of your computer problems not allowing you to write much, Shoprat. I'd been feeling I wanted to read you but, as you know, I've not felt up to visiting any blogs at all.
I'm so blessed that people like you, my friend, are still coming by in any case.
The blogosphere has been such a good diversion for me and the people have been amazing.
But, I DO hope, for your sake and those of us who enjoy your blog so much, you're back and running soon.
I hope your dad's doing well, too. xxx

1:49 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

true religion outlet
coach outlet store online
ugg boots
ralph lauren outlet
jets jersey
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet
valentino outlet
jordan 4
christian louboutin sale

9:22 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0709
gucci outlet
new balance shoes
wellensteyn jackets
adidas crazy
burberry outlet
ugg boots
cheap jordans
cheap jordans
polo outlet
arcteryx jacket




4:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home