Thursday, September 21, 2006

Memories -- Black Light Posters

The graphics for the posters were taken from the Hippy Shop where you can still purchase them on line. Go there and take a look around. I may be conservative but there some hippy things I love, and blacklights are at the top of list.

When I was a young teen-ager, I went into a gift and was just looking around and noticed a dark booth that was semi-curtained off with the words BLACKLIGHTS on the sign. I was curious so I went in and looked and was fascinated. The posters were attractive and the way the blacklight made them seem to glow fascinated me.

That year I got a blacklight and several posters for Christmas. This one was my favorite. It was called Peace Ship and was the first one that I got.



I of course got more of them and even as I got older I used to enjoy going into Spencer's Gift Shops in the Malls, and occasionally record shops as well, just to admire the black light posters.


As the years went by the posters were replaced by pictures of bands, album covers, and of course Cheesecake and Beefcake (scantily clad women and men for those who don't know those terms.) The attractive art of the black light poster has faded but is not completely gone. You still see blacklights for sale but posters are not as common as they used to be. Still a couple of years ago I purchased this blacklight poster called The Garden of Eden and it currently hangs in my bedroom.


Here are some others that I really liked. There are so many cool ones that I had to narrow it way down.

This one is called Ice Ship

There are number of others that I really liked, but once again blogger seems to think I am posting too many pictures and won't let me add any others. Sigh!!!

I used to love how the blacklight made these pictures glow in the dark. You can still get florescent paints and crayons that glow under the blacklight (in fact Crayola's 96 crayon pack has them in it) but you just don't see the artwork you used to.

4 Comments:

Blogger Skip said...

Ib remember your posters and the "foot prints" across the ceiling and all the other "hippie" stuff (cuz your OLDE lol)
check this out...
http://www.123posters.com/blacklight.htm

10:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man, I have a black light right now.

My room was plastered with those things growing up. The AC/DC ones, Led Zepplin, Tigers and Panthers. I had one with a ship on it too.

Man this post brought back some memories...Thanks.

10:04 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

I enjoyed the pictures SR. You should check out photobucket. It will store all your pictures in albums and you can download as many as you want to your blog and blogger won't complain.

5:50 AM  
Blogger KurtP said...

I never had the '2 picture limit' for my blog.
I don't think so, anyway.

BUT if you want to try more, do the thang- post and then do the "edit post- with pics" you may be able to sneak a couple more in. I remember I did it with a post several months back -B.G. (before Google).

12:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home