Friday, October 27, 2006

A Day Late -- More Memories

I don't know when they first appeared, but they quietly disappeared when I was in college. Mattel had this little cooking pad on which you could make things. It was called the "Thing-Maker" and it had several variations. Its flagship version was Creepy Crawlers with which you could make plastic fake bugs of various sorts.

Other variations included Fright Factory, which allowed you to make scars, fake eyes, fake teeth etc to make you look Creepy.

There was also a version that allowed you to make plastic flowers and a version that allowed you to create costume jewelry. (These were created because girls didn't dig bugs, or so they figured).

The thing about these is that for their time period they were considered costly, and their fun "half-life" was very short leading to them quickly gathering dust on a shelf. Apparently there were quite a few more varieties than I remember as this listing shows.

Similar, yet very different was Incredible Edibles, which was Creepy Crawlers with a twist. You could, and were expected to, eat the bugs. They came in several flavors and colors. Because you were producing candy, the fun-life expectancy of this was considerably longer.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Never had one growing up, but did eat my share of the real thing from time to time...

Worms were extremely tangy and grasshoppers were very bland like weak tobacco juice. The grasshopper had undigestable little legs also, and a real pita when they got stuck between my teeth...

I remember jungle warfare training once in Thailand. Their special forces were putting on a survival course with all the "you can eat this; but not this" stuff thinking they'd just sit back and laugh their butts off while we tried and puked...

I think they were just short of puking watching me put that stuff down.

No candy for me back in those days Shop; I was all natural.

10:03 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Hello Shoprat.

I was sort of in the same boat as gunz. My cousin and I, also a girl and a tomboy like me, once fried some poor defenseless grasshoppers in a can and poured chocolate over them. They were pretty good because all I could taste was the chocolate.

I remember the Incredible Edibles though because my kids had them. LOL! I thought they were pretty gross. :)

10:22 PM  
Blogger Skip said...

I have heard the Monkey Brain Story...Ewwww
SR... remember that thing when we were younger, the "Time Machine" I think, where we put those little plastic blocks in it and then heated it up and they turned into Dinasours and then put them in apress and they turn back into blocks??

7:14 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Skip
Yeah I was thinking about that too but couldn't remember what it was called. Aunt P got it for us for Christmas.

gunz and gayle
Skip and I have an in between brother who ate a roasted caterpillar out of a can. He promptly lost it. Strangest thing I remember eating was squid, which was like eating fish flavored rubber bands.

7:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home