Monday, October 16, 2006

What About The Mark?

666

That number scares a lot of people and I have seen numerous ways to make it this or that politician, this historical figure or that one, the Pope, or Mohammed.

For example

Ronald 6 letters
Wilson 6 letters
Reagan 6 letters

Now obviously Ronald Reagan was not the Anti-Christ and I for one never thought he was (though some liberals may beg to differ.)

I have recently seen a way that a questionable spelling of Mohammed with Greek letters adds up to 666 but the spelling is quite suspect and I don't think it's the best way to spell the name in Greek, (though I don't completely rule it out.)

I just want to point out a couple things about this passage. The initial passage says:
Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark. Revelation 13: 16-17

I personally believe the mark is figurative and not literally a tatoo or implant. I believe to understand it properly one must look at the context of Revelation. A verse by verse is out of the question, but virtually every image from Revelation is taken from elsewhere in the Bible. This seems to me to link to Deuteronomy 6: 4 - 9 where God commands the Children of Israel to place His words on their foreheads and right hands. Now this is obviously a figurative way of saying "Let God's word guide your thoughts and actions" though some Orthodox Jews do wear Scripture in Phylacteries on their heads and wrists.

The Mark of the Beast is described as a "Human mark" (literally "mark of man"). I believe the Mark of the Beast is putting the word of man above the Word of God, letting human philosophy and morality rather than divine guide us. I believe there is more to the Mark in political correctness than there is in any tatoo.

Also, in Revelation 14:9 where the Angel warns about receiving the mark, it reads just a little different in the original Greek. The Greek Aorist tense refers to a one-time action while the Present tense refers to a currently ongoing action. The Greek word for "might receive" is lambanei which is Present tense meaning "is continually receiving" describing a continuous action. If it was something you did once and were doomed it would have been Aorist Tense elabei which describes an action that is done and complete.

I do not pretend to know the exact meaning of the Mark, but I understand that its general idea is making a practice of putting Man's word above God's, man's wisdom above God's, man's commands above God's. As a general rule, put what God says above what any man says and obey God before you obey men and you will be safe from the Mark of the Beast.

11 Comments:

Blogger Bushwack said...

Thanks for the bible lesson, lord knows I could use it......

1:24 AM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

I don't think the mark is literal either. I always enjoy your view on these things. Thanks Shoprat!

6:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

As long as everyone is aware of it. I have my views, you have yours, and others have theirs. The most important thing is to be united and not divided. God is control of everything. I'm the son of a pastor and we are constantly adjusting our thoughts on the matter. Everyday is a new event, another twist, or turn. One thing's for sure; prophecy is in overdrive and it is becoming clearer and clearer. We'll ALL know what God meant about the 'number of the beast'sooner rather than later IMO. It's promised for a reason, and we won't be able to hide from it once it's fully exposed for what it is. Your interpretation, or opinion, on it is interesting though.

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I gotta add this: This is exactly why other versions of the Bible outside of the KJV isn't really a great idea. Some are less messed with than the others, but messing with the words of the Bible so it can be easier to read is messing up how people interpret verses IMO. It's a good thing to check out the Hebrew translations also.

1:31 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

thanks all

gunz I have learned both Koine Greek and Classical Hebrew, and frequently work with the original languages, in fact I prefer doing that to any translation. I have translated most of the New Testament from Greek and the some of the OT from Hebrew (mostly Isaiah and Psalms). It is valuable information and I wish more people would learn it.

3:26 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Dang, Shoprat! You've learned both Koine Greek and Classical Hebrew. I'm impressed. Good for you! :)

I too believe 666 to not be literal. Jesus often spoke in parables. I have to admit that I find Revelations extremely hard to get a handle on.

My grandmother gave me a King James Version of the Bible when I was seven. I still have that bible, and cherish it dearly. I unfortunately have a liberal priest who said, when he found out I was using the King James Version, that it was outdated! Progressive Priests! Well, he won't be there much longer, as he will be retiring soon, and the one who is going to be replacing him is far more traditional. Thanks be to God.

7:16 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

I personally prefer the New American Standard Bible which is very accurate and easy to read. The only version that I have found that is more accurate is the 1901 American Standard Version which is nearly unreadable because it kind of follows Greek and Hebrew grammar rather than English. Both are now a little difficult to find which is sad.

8:17 PM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Your going to the Iron Maiden concert on Tuesday in Auburn Hills, aren't you? ;)

10:31 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

I read this a long time ago and I can't get the links to open now: "Analysis of the Oxyrhynchus texts has revealed that the book of Revelations was slightly mistranslated centuries ago. In this oldest surviving copy of the New Testament, the "number of the Beast" turns out to actually be 616, not 666 as has been assumed. Beware of Michigan!"

Weird, huh?

7:34 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

lp Beware of Michigan?

The alternate text has been available as a footnote in most Bibles but very few take it seriously.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Skip said...

hey Big bro "616" is the are code for the GR area (hmmmm....DeVos???)

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home