Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Gettlelfinger still doesn't get it.

I have seen scores of my friends lose jobs in the auto industry and it's still not over. The worst of it probably is, but there is still more to come.

Delphi is not on solid footing yet, and the president of the UAW, Ron Gettelfinger, seems determined to drive it out of business, and then still collect his salary while the fallout causes thousands more to lose their jobs. Most local people, including a lot of current and former auto-workers now believe that the unions went too far and that's why the jobs were lost. I share this opinion and am far from alone.

Yes the Executives should take a pay cut too, but in the end, that is beside the point. You have no right to criticize the greed of others when you too are greedy.

"They're devious, they're cunning, they're callous, and all they care about is what they can get for themselves," he said. "They're nothing but a bunch of greedy hogs sitting at the trough."

I believe he was looking in a mirror when he said that. The union leadership looks out for itself first, the politicians that empower them secondly, and they occasionally throw a bone to the workers, especially if you work in a smaller plant.

Not only that, but the jobs bank, which is very worthwhile if the company is on solid footing, but is a pointless cash drain when it is on the ropes, is something he will defend. I understand wanting it, but reality trumps desires and right now GM cannot afford to pay workers not to work.

"We don't have any reason to be convinced to do away with it," Gettelfinger said.

A reason to do away with it? How about it's a cash drain on a struggling company? If GM goes down, many more will lose everything. Let's give our priority to saving GM and then once the jobs are secure, then talk about improving things. Let's save the company that creates the jobs first.

Like I have said before, I belong to the UAW and am not the least bit proud of it. It is organization undeserving of my loyalty. I say this with a bit of sorrow as my Great-grandfather was at GM as worker when the UAW was founded and he was fiercely loyal to it. He would be rolling in his grave if he could see what the organization he risked so much to help establish has degenerated into. I honestly believe he would be shamed and embarrassed by what it has become. He did not risk so much so that the workers could become every bit as greedy and self-absorbed as the management he struggled with and that is what has happened. As a general rule, there is not a nickle's worth of moral difference between the unions and the corporations.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

What a shame that your Grandfather would feel that way, but I'm certain he would. It's the same with the Democratic party. I can easilly imagine many dead and gone old-school Democrats "rolling in their graves" over what the party has turned into.

I left a comment over at MRB that I don't envy you your job. Then I come over here and see this post, and I'm positive I don't envy you your job! What a lot of stress this must cause, and how hard it must be to maintain a positive attitude.

8:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's all about profit, the stock market numbers reflect that. What ever it takes to bank and live a luxurious life style and drive hummers at the expense of screwing over it's employees who can't afford anything other than a 5 year old new used car and more often than not pays rent instead of a mortgage. They certinly forget where they came from or how they started. Maybe any way. Might of been fed with a silver spoon as a child. Pricks.

10:26 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

"I believe he was looking in a mirror when he said that."

Yep, capitalists are cold cruel but so are extortionists and that's what unions have become.

1:35 AM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Wow! Sorry you have so much worry over your job. I too am forced to be part of a union in order to keep teaching. At least I had a choice of which one.

6:48 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Gayle It's a shame anyone would have that feel that way. I have no problem with collective bargaining but when you can't tell the moral difference between the two it gets disgusting.

gunz The heads of the UAW make more than the CEO of the company I work for

pjc They are capitalists and dishonest about it.

lp Unions own Michigan. That's how it is and why we have so many problems.

9:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn...That's pretty sad bro.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home