Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Is This a Suprise?

Shocking survey here. 2 out of 5 bosses are less than stellar human beings. They don't keep their word, they pass the buck, they bad-mouth people. In other words, they're human.

Now truthfully, some can be downright nasty, but I've been in management shoes as well and know that some employees can be just as nasty and create just as many problems. When I was a fast-food manager my biggest problem was one hate-filled hourly who had the owner's ear (a relative) and created problems for everyone (including the owner though he didn't discover it until she left and all the problems with that store mysteriously disappeared.)

Yes, I have worked for horrible managers, incompetent managers, crooked managers, and also some very good ones. My current management is for the most part decent people in a bad bind which frequently flows down on us.

I kind of wonder though, what is the point of the study? It's kind of like making a study to see if cats walk on four legs. Whenever there is power the power-hungry and greedy are drawn to it, not necessarily the good and competent; such is human nature. I hope someone didn't get a Ph.D. or a Masters for this pointless study. Someone probably did.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Probably got a grant to study it as well as a degree or two...

7:12 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Actually, I think employee morale would be a good reason for a study like this. Also, the ideas for employees stuck in those situations are good ones. The higher-ups should be held to a higher standard.

7:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmmm .. I've been on both sides of this equation as well, and I tend to agree with you. There is good and bad in both. We tend to all eventually settle in to where we fit, and really bad bosses, or owners generally get replaced, or the company dies.

8:43 PM  
Blogger Skip said...

I too have been on both sides of the fence... I tried to be fair but there were times (OY VEY) I have worked for people who were great, and people who treated you well but thought you were a machine ( is 130 hrs in one week to much??).. but I survived, I have worked for many family companies (see nepitism) where the people in charge have nothing to offer other than the name of thier birth parents..... I guess that explains the old three generation rule
Skip

10:45 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I've also been on both sides of the fence. I think that most working people have. I've seen plenty of nepotism and have even lost a couple of good paying jobs because of it. As for studies, most of them are done on government grants and are a waste of taxpayer's money, and I believe this is one of them.

12:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My last manager was a bigot and racist. He also tried to micro manage me, lacking the skills to do so, it made both of our jobs difficult. he was fired 8 months ago and life here has never been better.
There is no point to studies such as these, just an academic exercise on somebody else's dollar.

12:15 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

You make a good point. I shudder to think how many millions of dollars have been wasted on pointless studies!!!!

12:41 AM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Another shocker from the survey community.

1:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All studies are flawed in one way or the other, and most of them involve "surveys" which are also fudged.

8:01 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

steve h Thanks for dropping by and welcome

cug Yeah it's a real shock to someone

tom, lmc, steven, and gayle I never considered the possibility of a grant for it, but there is that.

skip I remember that employer of yours, nice guy if you don't work for him.

abf You're right

lp That part is good, but the study was not needed as it is self-evident.

8:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home