Thursday, December 27, 2007

Memories - - Christmas Past

Ah Christmas - - to a child a time of wonder . . . and of course gifts.

The first gift I remember receiving was when I was probably 3 years old. It was a stuffed Huckleberry Hound with a hard plastic face. Now if you remember from the old cartoons, Huckleberry Hound was blue, but my stuffed one was red. That stuffed dog stayed on my bed until I was in my teens. Eventually it got put away because most of the stuffing was gone out of it, but I think my mother still has it in storage somewhere. I have found a couple on auction (though I don't know how long the link will last) but it was apparently done by Knickerbocker. Says it's rare. Mine is probably in Mom's storage chest with other old things, but it's not in that good of condition.

I must have been about 4 when I got Lincoln Logs which still exist but I don't know of too many kids who play with them.

When I was 5 years old I got a playset was either Fort Apache or else a knock-off on it (I really don't know) that had cowboys and Indians and loads of fun. Within a year I had moved away from cowboys and Indians and into toy soldier sets.

When I was 6 I got two items that I drew a lot of fun from. "Santa" gave me an Erector Set, that I was really too young for but that didn't stop me from building and building and building. That same year my Grandmother gave me a doll for boys that had just come out: GI Joe. I enjoyed him for years on end and I think he is still in storage near my old Huckleberry Hound. (We are talking the old dolls that were a foot tall, not the smaller action figures that took the same name.)

One of my favorite Christmas gifts of all time was one that I got when I was 10. It was called Super City and it was a building construction set consisting of hard plastic frames that were interlocking, and various types of panels that fit inside the frames allowing you to build anything you could imagine. I don't know what became of it.

I was 11 or 12 and I got a very good Chemistry set that I was still messing around with when I graduated from High School. I don't know what became of it either.

Of course I gave and received many gifts over the last 50 Christmases but it's the gifts I got as a child that bring about memories.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home