Tuesday, July 29, 2008

WOW!

My opinion of McCain as a man has just taken a leap upwards. I still feel he is weak on many issues, but strong on a few biggies, and this MAN is a hero in more ways than I knew. 41 years ago today there was an accident on the USS Forrestal and McCain's plane was destroyed due to the malfunction of another plane on the deck of the carrier. McCain first got out of his plane and then attempted to work his way BACK INTO THE INFERNO to rescue others. Ladies and Gentlemen, say what you will about his politics but this guy is a genuine article MAN.

This video shows the accident, and while it is blurred, you can see Lt Cdr John McCain going back toward the fire to try and save his crew mates. A man who will do that for a shipmate is a man I can put some confidence in should a crisis strike.





John McCain, I don't agree with everything you say or do, but you have earned my vote. You have it.

H/T to Gateway Pundit

9 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

WoW, Shoprat...this is incredible.

My husband just watched this too and said "He may be a jerk, but at least he's a courageous jerk!"

of course, we ARE voting for him..at least I am, the husband's not a citizen! But, he does love this country and he does have a LOT of disdain for Obama!!

thanks for posting it..

1:23 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Great find, Shoprat. Can you even imagine Obama doing this?

11:00 AM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

War heros and politics:
McGovern: B-24 pilot, 35 missions, trounced by movie war hero Reagan
Dole: Combat Lt. badly wounded in Italian campaign, beaten by non-military Bill Clinton
..Maj Tammy duckworth helicoptor
pilot, lost both legs in Iraq as well as election in Illinois, beaten by Pete Roskam a non-vet with huge GOP outstate support. Oddly, war heros are justly admired..peculiarly, they get
scorched in elections...

3:06 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

valid point bbi, but McGovern was trounced by Nixon, not Reagan, partly because he aligned himself against the military.

5:17 PM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

Correction accepted. (I think Reagan would have trounced him, though)

6:10 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

I will still vote for McCain over Obama, plain and simple. I will show up on election day and I will vote.

BZ

8:00 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

He'll probably lose, war hero or not. He is a brave man and I respect him for that.

Gayle-That kind of unfounded personal attack on Obama (you have no idea how he'd react. Give me a break.) Is exactly what is wrong with this country. You are better than that.

9:29 AM  
Blogger Z said...

tim...what Gayle said seems fair (and, frankly, hilarious) to me. can YOU picture him doing something like this? I can't. He's never shown a lick of even being fond of this country let alone FIGHT for her.
Every time he mentions the slightest thing he doesn't hate, he adds that we have to change that, too!
What would make me laugh also would be McCain going to speak to thousands of people in a foreign country!!! IMAGINE the hubris?

no, you can't.

6:45 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Actually, I think Tim makes a fair point. Obama's never had the opportunity to have his character "tested" as McCain has had; we really don't know how he'd respond under similar circumstances.

That said, McCain chose a line of work that puts himself in situations where such character-testing opportunities are bound to present themselves. The contrast between the two in terms of life experience is stark and profound.

1:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home