Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Conficker

I may not even turn my computer on tomorrow. While I am not paranoid, I am somewhat concerned about the conficker worm that is supposed to strike tomorrow. I used Yahoo IM to talk with Gawfer and he too is considering the same thing. If I choose to go online I can always use public computers at the library.

In a couple of days I will know what to expect. I do not know that I have the worm on board but I don't feel like taking any chances, especially since this one seems to be for real. It is enough of a threat that I am taking precautions as it is difficult to catch for most anti-virus systems.

Update: I just ran a specialized scanner and it says my computer is "apparently not infected". I still plan to exercise caution.

Update 4-1: Having learned more about it I turned my computer on and started surfing. While it's not foolproof I am well-protected.

6 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

As long as your anti-virus protection has the latest updates and is turned on, you should be okay, Shoprat. At least that's my hope, because obviously my computer is up and running. I probably will shut it down whenever I leave it, though.

10:00 AM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

My understanding is that the specific time one turns on the confuser isn't germane; if it's already embedded it may bloom in any event. I can only cross my fingers at work and at home. Plus, I also understand it may be kept dormant for an unknown time and then bloom later. . .

BZ

10:39 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

In addition to a full virus protection suite, I run three "malware" programs on my computer...all of them free. They are Ad-Aware (from lavasoft.com), Threatfire and the best one of all, Malwarebytes.

I have my virus protection updaating and scanning daily right now and my malware programs doing the same where possible.

I hope we can all stay clean.

3:34 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Get a Mac and don't worry. ;-)

8:15 PM  
Blogger Skip said...

Mine says it is supposedly Okay
BTW- Happy Birthday SR
Skip

11:57 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

So far so good, Shoprat. :)

10:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home