Wednesday, August 12, 2009

A Lot of This and A Lot of That

A great cartoon that says it all



And another


I am thrilled to see that Dr Sanity, who suspended her blog indefinitely last month is back with a vengeance. She is one of the best writers on the net. I don't often comment but I read most of what she says.

I was going to go to the County Fair tonight, but I thought better of it. All I do is walk around and eat, and three dollar hot dogs (just for starters) is a bit absurd.

When you work third shift in a guardshack there's only so much you can do so you watch a bit of TV. You sometimes feel a little guilty because you're getting paid to watch television but it keeps you awake so you can see and hear what is happening. (As my boss told me We'd rather you watch the tube than doze off! ) PBS is a favorite, as long as you ignore political propaganda and one of my favorites is Nova Science Now. They had an interesting thing on stem cells and a Japanese scientist who had moral problems with embryonic stem cells may have found what may soon be a workable solution; he found a way to turn regular cells into stem cells. It's not perfect and it has an unfortunate side-effect, but it's a major step in dealing with a major moral conflict. Like the attempts to grow in vitro meats, thinking outside the box has the potential to solve many of society's disagreements in some areas.

Another episode was about Dark Matter and I found it fascinating but it started my, admittedly over-active, imagination going. When I was studying nuclear power we spent a lot of time on Physics and one of the things we learned was to think of not only time and space as dimensions, but also mass and charge were to be thought of as dimensions as well. Anti-matter of course is like matter but the charges are reversed so you have an anti-proton and positron instead of a proton and electron. Anti-matter's existence is confirmed even though we have no large amounts of it, which we couldn't contain anyway. Now imagine if you would that matter and anti-matter were viewed as 180 degrees apart. Is it possible that charge goes into more than two directions? Could there be something like matter that is, let say 30 degrees removed from our conventional matter? Could such matter exist and be detected? Could Dark Matter be matter slightly out of phase with our matter yet still intrude gravitationally into our existence? Just a pointless meandering of a bored mind at work.

One more thing, commenting at Z's blog I remembered a movie called Harry's War and would like to find a DVD of it. However it seems to be kept carefully tucked away from the public. Any ideas anyone? It is available on Netflix, but I don't use that service. I just found a possible source at the link I guess I'll see. Yes I can get it here . Amazing what one finds as one searches.

9 Comments:

Blogger Pasadena Closet Conservative said...

I wasn't aware of the Dr. Sanity blog. Thanks for pointing me to it.

11:44 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Your right, the top cartoon peaks volumes

12:21 AM  
Blogger Z said...

Chuck's right....
thanks for that cartoon, shoprat, excellent.
I'd never heard of Dr. Sanity and am eager to go look..thanks for that, too.
Mostly, thanks for your posts; I like getting small glimpses into others' lives and what interests ...
I have to say there's barely a price I wouldn't pay for a hot dog if it was a good one :-) or mac and cheese!

12:26 PM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Dr. Sanity is back???

I've gotta check out what she's saying!

8:52 PM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

Proven fact that embryonic stem cells cause cancer---
Will check out Dr. Sanity when I get back--
Keep us posted on your Dad's condition...
C-CS

11:23 PM  
Blogger Average American said...

Dark matter----I heard about that a while ago, read it somewhere I think. Next to nothing is known except it has weight and so exerts gravitational pull. They think space may have a LOT of it in some places. I imagine I'll be dead before they figure that one out.

2:02 AM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Shoprat, is your Dad still okay?

BZ

2:23 PM  
Blogger Joe said...

We don't have cable or dish TV, so if I want Nature or science, I have to watch PBS. You do have to look past the political stuff, but it is very interesting.

6:15 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

PCC, Z, AOW, and C-CS Dr. Sanity's blog is wordy but awesome.

Chuck I loved it when I saw it in the local paper.

AA There is something different about Dark Matter, and it doesn't appear to be conventional matter. If it was outright Anti-matter we would see spectacular and destructive results.

BZ He appears to be on a bit of an upswing. Thanks for asking.

Joe It's about all there is on third shift.

9:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home