Thursday, July 16, 2009

Half-Blood Prince

The prince was half-blood and the price was full blood.

I don't have a lot to say about it except that I did enjoy it but there was so much missing. Sadly you almost have to have read the book to really understand what is going on in the movie. Until the big event at the end of the movie (avoiding a spoiler here) it was almost a comedy with Harry and Ron and their girl problems and teen-aged angst problems.

In many ways this, and its corresponding book are not so much stand alone, but lay the ground work for the seventh and final installation. (Or in the case of the movie, installation 7 and 7 ½.)

It lacks the relevance to the current world situation that Rawlings inadvertently(?) included in The Order of the Phoenix such as political correctness endangering innocent people because those in power felt threatened by the people knowing what was really happening.

The girl who played Ron's initial girl-friend, Lavender Brown, really did a good job of playing a world-class ditz. I just hope she was really acting and not just being herself. Also Emma Watson, who plays Hermoine, is really turning out to be an attractive young woman who also quite a good actress; I was quite unimpressed with her early on and am pleasantly surprised.

Three stars. I expect the finale to have 4+.

6 Comments:

Blogger dmarks said...

Harry Potter #3 (the movie) was a big downhill after the first one. The rest since have been better than #3, but not as good as the first two.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Okay, so Snapes was The Dude.

Absent that, I found the movie to be 2.5 HOURS of brain-glazing BOREDOM.

Hello? Bueller?

BOREDOM.

Luckily I saw it at matinee prices.

BZ

8:56 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

I could have balanced my checkbook or cleaned my fishtank with an equal amount of efficacy.

BZ

8:58 PM  
Blogger Z said...

here's how behind I apparently am..I have NO idea what you guys are talking about!
I do, however, know the name HARRY POTTER! :-)

11:52 PM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

Z-neither do I..
Guess there is a new Harry out ..
I into Transformers myself :-)
C-CS

2:31 AM  
Blogger benning said...

As usual, I prefer the books to the movies.

I, too, found the - maybe indavertent - inclusion of the political to be refreshing and interesting. It's something I saw the first time I read Tolkein's LOTR. It took no close reading to see the sapping of the will to resist by the constant pressure from Evil, the desire to just let things go so folks could live quietly. It's one of the better insights Tolkein had, I think. Worth realizing as you read it.

I'll see the Potter movie soon.

:)

10:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home