Friday, November 25, 2005

About Those Lions (and the Tigers)

I am kind of a half-hearted fan of the Detroit Lions. I want them to win and take note of what and how their doing, but I am far from fanatical about it. I take their (frequent) defeats with an air of "what else is new" resignation and go about my business.

More than one person has called for Head Coach Steve Mariucci to be fired. I will not climb on that bandwagon for a minute. Steve Mariucci is a proven winner, and if he can't turn this team around then it can't be done. The problems that the Lions face go much further then the head coach. The Lions have had so many good players and coaches fail that one needs to look at the organization itself, and the place to look is in the front office.

It was equally absurd to fire Tiger's manager Alan Trammell. He did the best he could with the team he was given and did not deserve to be fired. Both of these teams have office problems that are being reflected on the playing field.

2 Comments:

Blogger Pat said...

I'm not a big fan of Mooch, but I suspect you're right about the front office problems. As for Trammell, he was the victim of his own success last year. If the Tigers had won, say, 60 games last year followed by this season's 71 everybody'd say they were making progress.

8:28 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

I watched the game yesterday. Lions defense was pretty weak. Even poor Roary looked down.

11:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home