Sunday, January 01, 2006

How Much Do We Owe Them?

Bob Stein has an excellent posting the American Spectator on line on how we should view the military and how much we really owe them.

While I was busy being born (and not dying), men and women were getting blown to pieces by German 88's and Japanese mortars to win the big one. While I was growing up, our freedom was saved by the Strategic Air Command ("Peace is our Profession") and by men and women patrolling in the Arctic Circle. While I was in elementary school, my cousin Joe and my uncle Bob were fighting and fine men and women were dying at Cho-Sin Reservoir.

And at the moment I was looking at the stars in perfect peace, far better men than I were getting killed in ambushes in Vietnam.

We often don't give enough thought to the men and women who really put it on the line for all of us. Listening to that great song by Toby Keith (American Soldier) from time to time does not cut it. We those owe these people a lot.

I did serve, but I never saw a bit of military action (indeed, the only thing that happened while I was in was the rescue of the Mayaguez and I had nothing to do with that as I was only a E-1 in the reserves waiting to begin training - I belonged to the Navy only in a legal sense, which is enough.) So I too owe it to the guys who actually fought and died, many of them far better than the people they are defending.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony said...

Well said SR.

6:02 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I agree with Lone Pony. Great post.

Like Armed & Christian I too like to thank people in the military any chance I get.

4:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home