Friday, January 20, 2006

Why Did HE Come?

He did not come to change governments (thought it may result in that.) He did not come to bring social justice (though it may result in that.) He did not come to end poverty, racism, or war (though again it may result in that.)

Jesus was perfectly clear on why He came to earth. He came to find and save a lost race. He confronted all of the above problems and more, but He went right to the heart of the matter and dealt with that. He came to free us from sin (the root cause) and reconcile us to God. Without that ideas such as democracy, justice, equality etc. are just window dressing because the poisoned root of sin still poisons them.

That is not how the makers of the film Son of Man see the picture. They portray Jesus as a revolutionary (but at least a non-violent one) who confronts the violence and corruption of contemporary Africa and winds up on a cross. His resurrection is seen as a sign of hope for Africa.

Even though the Son of Man is portrayed as divine, the makers of the film do not that Jesus Himself was divine.

"We wanted to look at the gospels as if they were written by spindoctors and to strip that away and look at the truth," director Mark Dornford-May told Reuters in an interview.

"The truth is that Christ was born in an occupied state and preached equality at a time when that wasn't very acceptable."

The truth is that Jesus is the Son of God Who came to save all of us from ourselves (our sin).

4 Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony said...

I believe Jesus was darker skinned. I also believe he was a muscular man. Carpenters back then had to be. My kids don't know what to think when I tell them I think Moses was married to a black woman. I love reading your stuff about Jesus and the Bible. I also enjoy Neo's comments.

10:38 PM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Amen, shoprat.
No pun intended, either.

Great post.

10:57 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Jesus was a Jew and I do believe he was dark-skinned with brown hair. What he looked like though, shouldn't really matter. It's why he came here and what he did while he was here that matters.

I haven't seen "Son of Man." I don't think I want to.

8:17 PM  
Blogger juanitagf said...

Good post. I'm right in line with Neo. After all, what does it matter?

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home