Saturday, May 13, 2006

Straight Time Blues

Sung to the tune of the old Jim Croce song

"I got them steadily depressin
downright mind messin
Saturday at straight time blues."

We had a day off this week because one of our suppliers could not get parts to us, so we made it up today, as they finally got the parts to us this morning and General Motors wanted them Thursday. Only in the auto industry.

One day weekend this week, but I had Thursday off. At least I got a full week in and I wasn't so sure on Wednesday night and Thursday.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony said...

Doesn't seem right that they can yank your chain like that. The auto industry must be very competitive.

10:17 AM  
Blogger Tom C said...

And to think I grew up wanting to be like you, and my dad, and cousins. Count your blessings, I remember the day the big hammers at the fordge went silent in Lansing. It took me a month to get to sleep.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Hey, could be worse, you could be straight salary like me. If (for some reason) I end up working a weekend it's for free basically.

Of course, if I take a 35 hour week because of lack of jobs, I still get the same check, so I can't bitch much.

3:22 PM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

Good luck Shoprat. I now what your going through. Many years ago I used to work flat rate ... paid by book time, not by the hour or salary. If the wanted to cut costs, they cut the time allocated to do the job, with no warning.

10:41 PM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

At least you got the whole week in.
Sucks your Saturday was damaged, though.

11:24 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

It wasn't too bad, it was volunteers only. The silly thing was that the people who complain the most about no overtime nver volunteer for these things.

3:36 PM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Imagine that...

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home