Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Bye Bye Tom Cruise (For Now)

Call me self-righteous if you want and there ARE more important stories in the world, but I think a few more actors need to suffer the fate that Tom Cruise just suffered. Paramount has just cut ties with him. I don't know the whole story, but it seems that Paramount could no longer tolerate his behavior.

"As much as we like him personally, we thought it was wrong to renew his deal," Redstone was quoted as saying in the Wall Street Journal. "His recent conduct has not been acceptable to Paramount."


When a star of his drawing power gets the ax, you know he upset somebody. Supposedly it was his advocating of Scientology and his denouncing Brooke Shields for using anti-depresant drugs.

Now to be fair, Cruise and his associate, Paula Wagoner claim that they are simply striking out on their own, and to be honest, Paramount making such claims as they have out of bitterness over him leaving is not beyond the realm of possibility.

The tabloids have been predictably saying some pretty bad things about him and the truth is unknown. To be honest, I don't think much of Scientology and I loved how Steve Martin parodied it as "Mindhead" in his movie Bowfinger. But he is free to follow any religion he chooses.

My favorite of all his movies was Legend (One of my lifelong top 10), but War of Worlds was alright and I liked The Last Samurai and Minority Report but he never was one of my favorites.

A century or more ago, most entertainers were considered to be low-lifes and were not idolized and if you go back even farther, in ancient times most entertainers were slaves. It just amazes me that entertainment has come full circle from the occupation of neer-do-wells and slaves to a job of enviable glamor. Such is existence.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's got some serious issues no doubt. If he keeps up he's gonna need to be on prozac himself. I never cared for him anyway, ever.

10:12 PM  
Blogger Skip said...

Now if we could just do something with "Brangelina" and "K-Fed" sheeeesh

10:22 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I do love some of his movies and he's a cutie but he does have some serious issues. I'm concerned about poor Katie because it appears that he's doing some major controlling of her life and she's gotten brainwashed into this absurd scientology religion.

Our society does have an unhealthy obsession w/Hollywood but the reality is they usually aren't any happier or healthier than the average person even with all their fame and money.

2:17 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Never cared for him - that Scientology nonsense is too creepy.

11:55 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Shoprat, I believe many of them are actually unhappier than the average person. When one has it all, what is there left to strive for? Why else would so many of them be addicted to alcohol and/or drugs? Also, many people worship movie stars the way they should be worshiping God.

Cruise has played in some good movies. Unlike most women however, I don't find him attractive. He looks too girlyman for my taste. Scientology is also disgusting to me. As to the truth of whether he was canned or quit on his own, we will probably never know, and I'm certain you don't care one way or the other any more than I do. :)

1:41 PM  
Blogger Galen said...

I think that big movie actors are just out of touch with the reality of every day people. You have to admit, he is out there further than most actors.

9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home