Friday, August 18, 2006

Our Last Line of Defense?

These are people I really can't give my unconditional support to, because some of them are nuts. But I know people who are part of this organization and are salt of earth citizens.

The Michigan Militia, perhaps unfairly, was tarred as a racist, near-criminal outfit by the conduct of Timothy McVeigh, who was rejected by the militia (though somehow the press slipped by the word "rejected".).

I cannot give unconditional support to them because, as an umbrella group, they include some outfits that are just plain crazy, including one (which may not truly be affiliated with them) who claims that Michigan is Sovereign and the US Constitution has no authority here. I know about them because my Father, who is a Township Supervisor -- sort of a rural mayor -- was harrassed by them for "illegally" exorcising authority in Michigan. Like I said, some of these groups are just plain crazy.

But crazy or not, I live in the heart of Militia country and I know several people who belong to it, and they are deadly serious about it. They view themselves as the last line of defense, and if our government fails to protect the citizens of this state, they will.

I have serious questions about them, but as I see weak-willed politicians unwilling to stand up for anything, I'm also kind of glad they're there.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I completely understand what you're saying. I think it's all about the intent of such an organization. If it's to be the last line of defense for this nation then I have no problem with such a militia type of group and probably need them. If it's a hate group with extreme ideologies that relect a racist/hate group attitude then they are a very dangerous entity themselves. I'd join a group like that if the intent was right, but they always seem to attract the wrong type of mindsets and crowds. I believe that most of these people are dead serious about their country and I again have no problem with that at all.

11:01 PM  
Blogger Bushwack said...

Shop, An org. like that is needed in our country now more than ever. However I agree with your view. Hamas, Hezbollah are nothing more than malitia's in their country's and we see how that has turned out.
A militia exists as a watchdog group for the people. they are supposed to keep the government "Honest"
When they try to dictate policy by force of arms thats when they become a problem.

11:54 PM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

While they may seem a bit off the wall, they are needed, and keep everything in balance. As politicians weaken our society, these groups do have a tendency to get larger. the same thing happened here before the last election.

1:04 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

You guys are crazy if you think these guys are any kind of threat to our government. Their "watchdog" role is that of making asses out of themselves anytime somebody put a mic in their faces. The Hell's Angels, Ayrian Nations, or any other self respecting group would chew them up and spit them out in five minutes. They are mostly a bunch of fat old men who will be the first to run and hide if the shit really hit the fan. No, the government has little to fear from this "watchdog" group. Maybe they should take up deer hunting. That way they could actually use that firepower instead of just using it to compensate for their shriveled, limp penises.

1:51 PM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

I'm glad they're there, just in case.

3:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home