Saturday, August 05, 2006

Dress Codes

I remember when I was in my early twenties in college but attending an event at a church camp, I was sitting in the dining room with friends including a young female friend of mine who was wearing a flannel shirt that was buttoned only about half-way up, and I was desperately trying to keep my mind out of the gutter (not to mention my eyes). Young men have enough troubles with this sometimes and even the best intentioned of them may have difficulties in this area and stuff like that does not help. I don't believe the (then young but she is my age) lady intended to create eye strain; she just got careless.

Enter the dress code. At least one school in Texas is banning the showing of "too much cleavage" and I can't say that is a bad idea. Now I enjoy seeing an attractive lady as much as any guy, but there are times when one's mind should be on something else, like classwork. Some say that this creates a policy of policing the students when they should be teaching. Well part of teaching is making sure the atmosphere is conducive to learning. I wish more schools, and other places, would follow this example.

As purely an aside, women show more of their skin in church today then a harlot would show in a tavern 80 years ago. Now I am not saying that they should dress as woman dressed in 1900 but people need to keep this in mind. (I believe that Christians of either gender should dress at the modest end of contemporary fashion but are not required to be old fashioned in their dress.)

A bikini is a wonderful sight at a beach or pool, but wearing one while you walk down the street makes you little more than a traffic hazzard.

4 Comments:

Blogger Tim said...

You are showing your age! I have a 15 yr. old girl and she dresses conservativly by today's standards. This cannot be said for some of her friends, however. Sometimes it takes a lot of self control not to gawk! I mean, some of these girls look like they are 25! I usually do the "lookin at my shoes" thing (LOL)!

12:15 PM  
Blogger juanitagf said...

My teenage nieces have a very difficult time finding clothing to wear. They don't want to show everything, but they want to be in style.

My high school had a dress code. All skirts must touch the floor when kneeling. The blouse could not be lower than two fingers below the collarbone.

2:46 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

I would love for our school to require uniforms. It is a constant battle for me in class to catch and enforce the dress code all the time. Last year, I was having trouble keeping the attention of a boy in the back of the room. I found out later when the cute little thing in front of him sat down, her thong and part of her butt shined nicely. Remember when thongs meant the sandals that went between your toes? LOL

8:59 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

tim What makes it hard is that 15 yo girls are emotinally and legally children, biologically adults and intellectually in between. We must play the adult and treat them appropriately.

jgf At least they are trying, too many have given up..

lp I remember when I was 15, on girl in particular was very attractive, wore dresses that ended only a couple of inches below . . . er . . . well anyway, she sat at the desk next to me and I didn't learn a whole lot either.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home