Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Keep It A Little Anonymous.

The Federal Trade Comission gave some guidelines for avoiding identity theft, and they seemed most interested in bloggers between the ages of 18 and 24. I am just a wee-bit out of that age range, but I am a blogger so I decided to take a look at this. The key, they say, is to be anonymous.

1) Watch What You Blog
Actually if you read all my posts and studied everything I write, you could make some pretty solid guesses about me, determine about where I live etc. but I have tried to keep my full name, exact location and employer all reasonably secret. I did put up my picture, but a determined person would have to work a little to locate me. It is recommended that personal information be limited to a first name. (Please do not take it as a personal challenge to ID me.)

2)Don't Get Caught in Phishing Net
Be very careful about anything that asks for personal information, and that is doubly so for your SSN.

3.)Keep Software Security Up to Date
My anti-virus and anti-spyware software automatically updates daily. They recommend at least once a week. Daily makes more sense to me and isn't that difficult, plus most AV systems can be set to automatically update daily.

4)Avoid Sharing Your Computer.
Actually this is not hard for me as I live alone and what few people would ever use my computer are people I trust. If you do then you should sign out on any accounts you have before you allow them to use it. And be creative with your passwords, which I am anyway. My Yahoo password would be inexplicable to most of you and most anyone who knows me. My PINs all have a logic but it is a logic known to me and me alone.

5) Use Caution When Using On-Line Querys.
Now I must admit that I did not consider this one but it makes sense. When you answer a MEME, as I have done couple of times when tagged, watch your answers and do not put down any that are also personal PASSWORDS as would-be ID thieves do study this information to find passwords.

6)Watch For Wi-Fi.
Many of these, especially ones open to the public have only the absolute minimum of security.

In other words, keep it a little anonymous.

3 Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony said...

Thanks for the tips Shoprat! I've always been afraid to let much about myself out, so I "pinch" it a little. LOL

9:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I try to stay subdued as much as possible. Great imformative post.

10:34 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

My friend who helped me start my blog warned me about some of these things so I've tried to be careful.

12:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home