Wednesday, November 01, 2006

A Wasted Generation

I remember hearing commencement speakers when I was a teen-ager telling those who were a bit older than me that they were an "annointed generation" and a generation "that would make a difference."

Something went wrong somewhere.

My Grandfather's generation was hardened by the Great Depression, won WWII and ushered in a golden age for America.

My Father's generation brought civil rights for non-whites and landed on the Moon.

My generation . . . . hmmm.

In spite of the courage and sacrifice of many of our soldiers, people just a few years older than myself betrayed this country and freedom, causing us to lose in Vietnam.

Legalized abortion . . . there's an achievement to proud of. Anyone who is proud of that has a problem.

With the the help of another country we have put a multi-billion dollar can of air in orbit. Nice but not stellar.

Half of us took off on a wild goose chase following a left-wing utopian dream that ultimately destroys every society it touches. The other half followed their own personal greed to accumulate wealth without really accomplishing anything.

I sometimes feel that my generation is like that boy in Huxley's Brave New World who, when asked if he ever had been denied anything he really wanted, complained that he once had to wait a week to have sex with a girl he really wanted and how horrible it was. Too many of us do not know the meaning of either sacrifice or accomplishment. We are a microwave dinner generation that expects everything now at no cost.

I fear for the next generation.

A few individuals have done truly great things, but as a generation, and compared to the previous two. we have no bragging rights.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't fear for the next generation as much as I fear the next generation... I'm talking their politics are lack there of.

You think we have moon bats now.

I'll be fair; there are Republican moonbats too. They are plentiful on both sides of the aisle. S/F!

12:57 AM  
Blogger Rudy Carrera said...

I'm impressed with the comment. Our generation is a pack of loafers, sad to say...

11:56 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A hearty Hear hear..

2:23 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Sadly it's too true, Shoprat. I would love to disagree with you, but I can't.

7:56 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

gunz There are some bad ones, but I know some who are suprisingly advanced.

Rudolph and r_mate_e glad to have you visit. Welcome.

Gayle I too wish it wasn't true.

10:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home