Tuesday, November 14, 2006

A Working Man's Holiday

Tomorrow is a holiday for many factory workers in this state (though not all of them by any means.) Some of them even have it as a paid holiday in their union contracts, though that is not common.

It is opening day of firearms season. My own plant was counting on about 50% absenteeism so the boss just through in the towel and called off work tomorrow.

I do not hunt myself, but am an unconditional supporter of the right to hunt. (It's also ecologically necessary as they are very few non-human predators to control the local deer population. Indeed the only creature that kills alot of deer around here besides hunters is of the four-wheeled variety.)

One new pre-opening ritual that many hunters are doing tonight is watching a ridiculous movie called Escanaba in da Moonlight written by, directed by, and starring Jeff Daniels. He plays a hopelessly inept hunter trying to bag his first buck after over 25 years of trying and failing. (Though I do own a copy, I really have difficulty recommending it as it really isn't that good, except for a couple of hilarious scenes - - it's mostly a deer-hunter thing. If you need a little bit of good-luck charm to bag your buck- - it might do the trick . . . maybe.

4 Comments:

Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Wisconsin starts their gun season next Saturday. Most places close the whole week of thanksgiving due to rampant cases of "blaze orange flu" amongst the workers.

I used to hunt annually, but haven't in 20 some years. Not that I wouldn't, I just have a hard time getting motivated to go into the woods at the crack of dawn and freeze, hoping bambi will show up for me.

10:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I haven't hunted for a lot of years, but on Sunday, I could have just got out of the car, and told the deer to jump on the hood, and I'd string him up in my condo. They are all over the place up here, and more get killed by cars, then by bullets....

11:29 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I don't hunt either. We do have deer here, but aren't really that overrun by them. What I have on our property is a lot of wild pheasants, and I don't broadcast that piece of information around the town, because if I did, there would be so many people out here shooting up the place I'd be afraid to stick my head out the door!

There are a lot of Buzzards too, but nobody is interested in shooting them. LOL! Many years ago the country road that runs beside our property used to be called "Buzzard Roost Road." Sure glad they changed the name. I would hate to have that as my return address. :)

9:50 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Just drove past Skip's sporting goods in Grayling and the pole only had about a dozen hangin' at noon.
Haven't had time to go in about five years. I miss it, but where I used to hunt in Howell is now a subdivision. DAMN YOU! ACCURSED SUBURBAN SPRAWL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fortunately, one of the women my wife works with is married to a guy with 4 brothers who shoot at least half a dozen deer every year, and they give us a grocery bag full of venison every year. If they ever move, I may have to dust of the .06 and knock one over again.

6:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home