Thursday, January 04, 2007

Something I Occasionally do

One of the things I enjoy doing on a computer is font creation. To create a complete set of fonts from already existing images takes anywhere from 45 minutes for a set of dingbats or printing, to several hours of editing and reworking for cursive fonts.

Here is an image that has several sets of "dingbats" I have done.




The top one is images taken from Archie Comics which I must be careful about sharing because of copywrite issues.

The second and one is based on military rank insignia followed by a third one consisting of rating symbols for the US Navy

After that there is series of Heraldic Images

The last one is based on the periodic table which I plan to extensively rework.

Then there are some true fonts. The first one is taken from my own penmanship (such as it is) and letter for letter it looks like my writing, but no person writes with such regularity as to easily turn there cursive into a font and the letters needed to be edited so that they could fit together. As a result the letters are my own hand, but they are not fit together naturally as they would actually look if I had handwritten the words.

Printing is actually much easier to make into a font because you don't have to line up the letters perfectly and the natural irregularity of human writing is not a problem. The first line of printing is my own, followed by the brother who frequently comments here, his daughter's printing and his "angel's" daughter's writing as well.

I got the software from TUCOWS and it has a 30 free trial period and costs $65.00. I purchased it about a year ago. It is called "High-Logic Font Creator".

9 Comments:

Blogger Joubert said...

That sounds like a nifty piece of software. I'll check it out.

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

thats pretty neat stuff! i like tucows - you can find all kinds of neat shareware there....fascinating place to browse when you're just out web surfing....

4:47 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Pretty cool!!

6:33 PM  
Blogger Skip said...

Hey I write like a highschool girl
Skip

7:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't think it would matter if I wrote it, printed it, or created a font from my hand, ain't to many people gonna be able to read it ... LOL

That is pretty neat stuff though...

11:22 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Could you create one for me of different ways of using the "one finger salute", so when the boss ticks me off I can e-mail it to him??

7:13 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

all thanks for the comments

Skip So your writings neater than mine? Does that make it girlish?

cp I could but I would need a set of images and your boss would need the font on his computer, otherwise he just sees the defaul font.

2:18 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

Interesting. I've never been to the Tucow's site, so thanks for the link.

Also, thanks for your visit, Shoprat. Things are going a lot better today. Walt's swelling is much improved, and I have a bit more time to visit. We are beginning to return to some form of normalcy. :)

3:23 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

That's pretty cool Shoprat! It was fun seeing both brothers' printing. Tucows was a great link, thanks!

7:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home