Thursday, March 29, 2007

Sometimes Old Memories Are Still Good

I wrote some time ago of old movies that I liked as a teenager, but at lost something when viewed as an adult. It seems some of the magic goes away as time goes on, but I just got done watching another movie I loved as a teenager, one I hadn't seen in years, and I still loved it.

It was an old spaghetti western/comedy called They Call Me Trinity. It is basically a send up on every old western cliche' in the book and is actually quite funny to some people, like me for example. Yeah the Mexican bandito is a bit over the top and maybe overly stereotyped, but it works perfectly in this movie.

It's the first of a short series of movies featuring a pair of brothers, Trinity (smart and a charmer of the lady's) and Bambino (Stronger than an ox but not quite as bright), who set out to be villains in the stories but always get sidetracked and wind up being heros as they wind up dealing with real villains who are far nastier, but nowhere near as competent, and in their efforts to be bad guys wind up saving people. They have a reputation as being the "left and right hand of the devil" and often wind up playing Robin Hood roles.

They are both such dead shots and deadly fist fighters that it makes the bad guys' heads spin. It's hard to explain the humor, and some of it is dark humor, but it suprised me when I watched and enjoyed it as much as I did when I first saw it when I was 14. There were 3 official Trinity movies and a 4th one made by a different studio, using the same actors in identical characters but never naming them.

6 Comments:

Blogger Dionne said...

It is intriguing how good memories of old shows/movies varies. I loved watching the Roots miniseries with my family growing up. When I became an adult I went hunting for videos of it and I have re-watched it a million times and still think it is one of the best mini-series of all time.

On the other hand I had really good memories from watching the Tv show Chips. I watched an episode awhile back and just laughed at the thought that I used to think it was a good show. It seems so cheesy now.

11:58 PM  
Blogger KurtP said...

I haven't seen the Trinity movies in,,,forever. I need to go rent them!

1:25 AM  
Blogger dons_mind said...

terrence hill and bud spencer - kings of the spaghetti western in italy and heros in europe...lol
classics - i have a few of their movies -even two of the three trinity movies. classic. love watching them - - in fact, the western channel actually showed one on tv not long ago.

8:01 AM  
Blogger Jay said...

Great post. My favorite movie memory came when my father took me to see Patton.

Years later, it is still my favorite movie, and I still feel like a little kid in the theater with Dad when I watch it.

I've never seen "They Call Me Trinity" but I'll track it down and give it a try.

10:23 AM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

Never seen this one, I'll have to check it out...

5:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't say I've ever seen it but sounds interesting...

6:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home