Saturday, March 17, 2007

The year was 1957




In 1957 (the year you were born)



Dwight Eisenhower is president of the US

OK

First civil rights bill since Reconstruction to protect blacks' voting rights is approved by Congress

Too Bad It took so long

Hurricane "Audrey" destroys Cameron, Louisiana killing 390 people

Must have been global warming, or was it cooling then?

National Guardsmen bar nine black students from entering previously all white Central High School in Little Rock

And Slick Willy wasn't there to help them . . .

Russians launch Sputnik I, first earth orbiting satellite

I knew about this one.

The FBI arrests Jimmy Hoffa and charges him with bribery

Typical Union boss; most are just like him.

Vanna White, Osama bin Laden, Sid Vicious, and Melanie Griffith are born

I'll own up to Vanna White, the rest are . . .

Milwaukee Brewers win World Series

Actually it was the Milwaukee BRAVES.

Detroit Lions win NFL championship

They were winners at one time.

Montreal Canadiens win Stanley Cup

Some things rarely change.

On the Road by Jack Kerouac is published

Never heard of it.

The Cat in the Hat by Dr. Seuss is published

That I know.




Update : I forgot to give a Hattip to Gawfer. It was an inexcusable oversight and I do apologize.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well let's see...

Vietnam Moratorium Day; millions nationwide protest the war.

Same BS going on today in Washington as we speak.

Superbowl III: New York Jets beat Baltimore Colts, 16-7 in Miami Superbowl MVP: Joe Namath, New York Jets, QB

Richard M. Nixon inaugurated as president

Beatles perform last live gig

Apollo 10 transmit 1st color pictures of Earth from space

Police surprise attack on Black-Panthers in LA

Just to name a 'very' few.

Then came me, my mother named me Gunz because she didn't want to call me Aaaahhhhhaaahhh!

Was to long I guess.

2:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Easy now on the age difference, i wear hearing aids, or supposed to. I was told I have the hearing of a 60 year old man... LOL.

Ahhh the life of a former Combat Infantryman. Wouldn't change it for the world.

Huh???

2:42 PM  
Blogger dons_mind said...

nice - - put mine on my blog...thanks for sharing....some of those type of things are fun to do....

9:22 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I love this, great find!! Nothing great happened during my year--1970, 1st Earth day, Richard Nixon was president, Jane Fonda and John Kerry had an anti-war rally. Sigh.....

5:42 PM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

Hmmmm ... "An anti-Communist revolt in Hungary is crushed by Soviet troops and tanks" .... like you said... some things never change.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Gary said...

Dang! 1957?

Great Chevrolet Bel Air was the last of an era.

Glad you enjoyed it. Anything on my blog is fair game to you bro.

9:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home