Sunday, July 22, 2007

Done Reading It

Got in line Friday night around 11:15 and there were about a dozen in line (some of whom had been there a few hours). I timed it well because about 30 more people were in line by 11:30 and the line almost tripled again by midnight.

I read until about 2:30, got some sleep, read some more, went to help with my niece's open house (graduation) for most of Saturday, but read about half of the book Saturday night and finished a couple of hours ago.

It was good. I don't want to give any spoilers so I won't give analysis yet.

There were some rough spots in the book where the narrative was a little confusing, but by and large it read smoothly and went to an amazing climax.

Curiously enough Harry visited his parents' grave and this was their epitaph.

and the last enemy to be defeated shall be death.

Dumbledore's mother was buried nearby and her epitaph was also surprising (pleasantly so!)

Where your treasure is there your heart shall be also.

Curious that both quotes are from the New Testament.

4 Comments:

Blogger AmPowerBlog said...

Hey man! I got my son a copy. He's not done yet, though.

Have a great night!

8:13 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

I didn't have to wait in line. I'm about 45 minutes away from a little town in Fornicalia called Grass Valley, and there's this small bookstore on Main. I went in and they had boxes and boxes of the book. I called my wife, who is an HP devotee, and told her I just easily scored her a nice, new copy of the final volume. I became, once again, her New Hero. She is reading it now, almost finished, as I write this comment. A note: as I was leaving with the book, this kind of geeky looking kid, may 11 or 12, entered the bookstore, saw the book in my hand, and, eyes downturned, asked: "How much was that?" I told him it was $34.99. He let out a sigh and turned to the door. I asked him if he came to get the book and he said yes. I asked: "Didn't expect it to be so much?" He didn't answer. I pulled him into the bookstore and bought him a copy, handed it to him, and drove away. I hope he remembers that for a while.

BZ

9:05 PM  
Blogger dons_mind said...

good move bz - - wonderful thing to do! i'll bet he remembers that for a long time! maybe he'll return the favor and help some other young person some day.....

10:39 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

dd When he's done you will be next right?

bz That was a good thing to do.

d_m Hopefully he will.

9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home