Thursday, August 30, 2007

Memories - - Foxes

I haven't done a memories posting in while and at one time I figured on doing one every Thursday. It is Thursday so let's do one.

I want to talk about foxes, not the four legged creatures that roam the edges of civilization but the two legged variety that is the mark of a truly human place.

25 to 30 years ago, for those who were born last week and don't know, a "fox" was an attractive woman or girl. It's still heard on golden oldie stations with songs like Foxy Lady or to lesser degree, Sweet's song Fox on the Run. Of course it was a compliment to say a girl was "foxy" and you saw lot's of tee-shirts that proclaimed its wearer a "fox".

In a comment to an earlier posting I was asked if I ever had a crush on Marcia Brady from the Brady Bunch. Now while Maureen McCormick (the actress who portrayed her) definitely qualified as a fox I never really had a thing for her. In fact it wasn't until I was in my 20s (and I am within a few months of her age) that I even heard much guys having a crush on her.

So did I have a crush on any TV starlets? Of course I did.

We of course remember Charlie's Angels (and I am talking about the original series, not the recent movies) and it included three gorgeous ladies who each qualified for the word "fox". Now of course it was Farah Fawcett-Majors who got all of the attention but I didn't understand why. Sure the (then) wife of the Six Million Dollar Man was a looker, but she was not the best looking on the show. That honor belonged to Jacqueline Smith who played Kelly Garrett. My heart skipped a beat whenever the camera went to her. Even though she is ten years my senior, I thought she was beyond beautiful, almost perfect in her beauty. When she made a cameo in the 2nd Charlie's Angels movie I thought she still looked darned good.





For a (then) young lady a little closer to my age (about 3 years younger than myself) there was a young woman who is now all over the tabloids for the weight she has lost. Valerie Bertenelli was the younger daughter in the old sit com One Day at a Time and even though she didn't get a lot of official attention, her cute little face decorated a large number of lockers and bunkrooms when I was in the Navy. She came across as the perfect combination of beauty and the girl next store. It's a little embarrassing to admit, but I had a major crush on her when I was, 17, 18, or 19 - - somewhere in that range. I was disappointed when she married that rock star. (If you open the picture it becomes much larger and reminder of just how cute she used to be - - - or as we used to say "a little fox."







Of course we need to have at least one Sports Illustrated bikini model (and at least one blond) to make this complete. I remembered the poster but believe it or not I had to look up her name. It was Cheryl Tiegs. Several years older than myself, this fox decorated the wall of my bedroom when I was in my early 20s. In fact it was this poster that I had. I don't know what became of her (or my poster of her), but I notice something. Bikini models come and go but those with talent beyond just their looks are remembered. She was definitely a fox but unfortunately foxiness does not last forever - - nor does the word.

Of course there were numerous others and you could write all day about them. Susan Dey who played Laurie Partridge, Bo Derek who was quite pretty but couldn't act for beans - - but matured into an impressive and still attractive lady. Of course Daisy Dukes, Michelle Phillips, Marie Osmond . . . the list goes on and on and on.

Back to serious stuff maybe tomorrow.

13 Comments:

Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Shop: even farther back: I had a HUGE crush on Barbara Eden from "I Dream of Jeannie." Likewise, on Diana Rigg as Emma Peel on "The Avengers." Also had a huge crush on model Jean Shrimpton.

BZ

3:44 PM  
Blogger dons_mind said...

yeah - emma peel - - whew - - pure heat....

and hailey mills (sp?) was a good childhood crush for me from the disney movies..

to this day i still like emmy lou harris - - she's my music crush! lol

4:05 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I can honestly say I never had a crush on any of these women, Shoprat! LOL! You won't believe who I had a crush on. I was 14 when Elvis became famous. I didn't have a crush on him, although every girl I knew did. I had a crush on James Stewart! My friends thought I was nuts. I met him in person in Virginia City, Nevada. That's when I got over my crush. He didn't look anywhere near as good in person as in the movies. I never had a crush on any other famous person because I had learned my lesson. :)

8:54 PM  
Blogger AmPowerBlog said...

Like millions of other boys just hitting puberty back in the '70s, I had that Farrah Fawcett poster on my wall.

Talk about bringing back some memories - she was a goddess to me!

12:24 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Although, I think all 3 of those women are pretty I really liked all of them as actresses, especially Valerie Bertinelli and Jacqueline Smith.

2:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with BZ and dons_mind on Diana Rigg, I had a major crush on her, another was Angie Dickenson -- she was a lot older, about 43 when she played Pepper in Police Woman.

9:52 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Your choices are nice, Shop, but I guess I'm older than everyone else because my crushes were Ava Gardner, Sophia Loren - and all the other sultry brunettes from the Fifties. Never much fancied blondes. There is not one modern actress who I find attractive. They all look like cheap hos to me.

11:57 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

bz, d_m, & seth. I was barely prepubescent when Dianna Rigg played that part, just a little young to sexually appreciate her. Now when I saw the reruns a few years later I realized what I was too young to see.

gayle They often aren't as attractive as we think they are. I have seen some real beauties without make-up and something does get lost.

dee thanks.

dd Yes Farrah was gorgeous as long as she wasn't standing next to Jaqueline whose beauty eclipsed hers. :-)

pjc they were lovely in their day.

1:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BZ- When Jeannie said "yes master..." well, do I have to draw y'all a picture? Whew! I loved J Smith. Of the new Angels, well all three are smokin hot! Especially Lucy Liu! Yeah, we may be gettin' older but hey we can still LOOK! Gayle, you illustrate the diferrence between men and women. Women may think about sex from time to time, but basically, it's the main thing men think about!

Shop, I concur with all of the choices you list and many more. There are even movie actresses from the forties that I wish I could jump back in time and check em out. How about Greta Garbo or Ava Gardner? And the one I really find sexy is 50's pin up girl Betty Page (Whoa!)

7:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you have copy writer for so good articles? If so please give me contacts, because this really rocks! :)

1:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You have tested it and writing form your personal experience or you find some information online?

10:02 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

true religion outlet
coach outlet store online
ugg boots
ralph lauren outlet
jets jersey
michael kors handbags
michael kors outlet
valentino outlet
jordan 4
christian louboutin sale

9:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

www0709
knicks jerseys
michael kors outlet
denver broncos jerseys
air jordan 12
fitflops sale
christian louboutin outlet
raptors jerseys
saucony shoes
nike store
mulberry handbags




4:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home