Thursday, August 23, 2007

Letting It Go.

They speak of 15 minutes of fame. You're briefly famous for this or that and then it's over; you go back to an ordinary life and are quietly either forgotten or remembered by a very few.

For someone who does something heroic or a "one hit wonder" musician it's not that big of a deal, you simply return to the life you once had.

For people whose entire life is being a celebrity it's not that easy. For these people an adoring public defines them and apart from that public they have no true self. Hence the struggle to remain relevant as a celebrity. I see it in the daily struggles of several young starlets as they struggle to remain relevant in today's entertainment world. I think part of their problem is that there is that they have no "true self" apart from their celebrity persona, and if they lose their celebrity they lose all sense of self-worth and become nobody. That is why Madonna needs to forever re-invent herself. Others simply do shocking things in order to get and hold attention they so badly crave and need.

I think they would be happier if they just let it go.

There was an entertainer when I was 10-14 years old, probably very few who born after 1960 remember him, but his name was Bobby Sherman. His career was a flash in the pan and when I was in Jr. High he adorned the lockers of countless female classmates of mine. He really wasn't a super-good singer, though he was better than I'll ever be, and as celebrity does, his died in the early 70s. He did not struggle to keep it but knowingly and willingly let it go, beyond occasional cameos in shows like Love Boat, Fantasy Island etc. After a while he acknowledged that he was enjoying life more and he eventually became an EMT and today he feels that his life is more fulfilled than he was as every teen-aged girls dream date. He now has a real life.

I can think of several young celebrities who need to look at this man as an example.

For those who haven't heard of him, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if you haven't, I include this video of him. Like I said, he was an okay, but not phenomenal singer. The song is Easy Come, Easy Go which I felt is appropriate considering what I am talking about.

As I also said earlier. Some young celebrities with serious issues need to seriously think about what this man discovered.

10 Comments:

Blogger The Vegas Art Guy said...

1. Congrats on your blog, I wish I had known sooner. As you read this know that you're now on my blogroll.

2. I have written a couple of times about the struggles that Paris and Lindsay have had. The problem is that they have nobody to say "NO!" and this gets them into hot water time and time again.

7:36 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Thanks for dropping by. I took a look at your blog and will reciprocate next time I update my blogroll.

8:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

SR- I remember Bobby from like, 4th grade and girls used to write his name in glue on their arms and sprinkle glitter on it. He was on a really bad TV shoe called "Here come the brides" about loggers in Oregon. He also did a guest shot on the Partridge family. I love waxing nostalgic about that kind of stuff! Remember David Cassidy? He was a teen heartrob, too! BAck them, I had a HUGE crush on Marsha Brady (Maureen McCormick).

7:42 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

tim I remember Here Come the Brides and Getting Together quite well. I thought Maureen McCormick was pretty but never really had a crush on her, though recent tabloids have brought back memories of a long forgotten (and long dead) crush from my later teen years. I used to watch One Day at a Time just to see Barbara (Valerie Bertinelli)as did quite a few other guys in my barracks. I can't believe how heavy she go because she used to be (in our old vernacular) a "little fox".

1:10 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Omigawd, Bobby Sherman!! And yes, he was on "Here Come The Brides" with the Manly Man who played "Jason Bolt" in a Northwest lumber camp!! Zounds! Memories!

BZ

10:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bobby Sherman, that goes back a far piece.

He also did that song "Julie Julie Julie Do You Love Me."

2:34 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Seth
Julie, Julie Do You Love Me? is the only song he did that I ever hear any more even on "Golden Oldies" stations.

12:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In regards to your comment about celebrities being defined by their fame, I believe you are absolutely right, especially when you look at the incredible divorce/remarriage rates among celebs. It is as if they see a relationship/marriage as a role to be played, and then one day they wake up and are tired of playing that role and want to be cast for another. They have no sense of self, and a very tenuous view of/grip on reality.

I recall seeing Peter Sellers on The Muppet Show. Kermit told him to relax and be himself. I'll never forget Sellers' reply; "I have no self; I had it surgically removed."

I think that it true of a lot more celebrities than just Peter Sellers.

11:16 PM  
Blogger benning said...

I remember Bobby Sherman. I'm glad he found happiness after celebrity. :)

1:52 PM  
Blogger raybanoutlet001 said...

toms shoes
miami heat jersey
michael kors outlet
mlb jerseys
hermes belts
ugg boots
true religion outlet store
ugg boots
jordan 4
ugg boots

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home