Thursday, August 28, 2008

Been A Tough Week

Monday afternoon I had a job interview as an industrial painter for a plant about two miles away which would pay comparable to what I had two years ago. They only talked to me briefly but instead, put me in a paintbooth and watched me work and evaluated what I did. They were thrilled with my work.

Tuesday morning I was informed that I had the job and would start the next morning. All I had to do was pass a pulmonary test that would see if I could safely wear a respirator over an extended period of time. No problem because I had done it before.

Not only am I still unemployed, but I now am unable to work in a paintbooth, wear a respirator or do any extendedly strenuous work. For some reason I am not pulling enough Oxygen into my bloodstream when I breath to do such things. I breathe normal sized breaths but I'm not pulling out as much oxygen as I should.

I was feeling pretty down about it, but I guess I'll just have to do something else. I'm over the emotional disappointment but need to look in other directions.

The agency that hooked me to this job says that with my work-record and references they can probably get me something else even though they generally do only specialized and skilled labor. The girl at the agency said she felt guilty about it, and I don't know why, so she wants to see what she can do. I appreciate the help but she of all people doesn't need to feel guilty.

My landlord thinks that I should try for partial disability because my breathing limits what jobs I can do, but I don't feel disabled and really don't want to do that.

5 Comments:

Blogger Dionne said...

Wow, what a disappointment. I will be praying.

3:04 AM  
Blogger Z said...

is that the last word? I wonder if a doctor might say/ show differently what you can do? just a thought.

I am so sorry to read this and you'll be in my prayers, to shoprat.

How's your dad doing? You've been really going through it, haven't you.
All the best............xxx

4:59 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

Man, that's tough. Maybe this is a good thing in the sense that it will get you out of that potentially harmful enviornment and doing something healthier for you. I hope they can find something else for you to do.

6:55 AM  
Blogger dons_mind said...

wow....tough week for sure....hope that agency is able to get ya something else...is this navy related maybe? you should re-think the disability thing...we'll keep the good thoughts and prayers aimed your way.....

8:32 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Thanks all for the prayers.

no Don it's not related to the Navy but more likely my old employer as there were more Chemicals in that place, but it no longer exists.

8:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home