Friday, August 29, 2008

Sarah Palin

I really became aware of her last fall when there was a considerable number of conservative blogs wishing that she would run because, as a conservative woman, she would be the perfect foil for Hillary (who was the assumed nominee at the time.) At that time I believed, and still believe, that gender, like skin color, is the wrong reason to choose a nominee. To me she sounded good but not yet ready.

That being said I think that McCain made a pretty good choice. I don't know if it was the best possible choice because there is so much I don't know about the candidates but it was a very good choice. Her lone real weakness is lack of foreign policy experience and I do wish she had a bit more.

What impresses me is the excitement that this has generated over the right side of the blogosphere. People who felt that McCain was insufficiently conservative have now decided it's OK to hold their nose and vote for him. People who were choosing him as the lesser of two evils now feel better about giving him their votes. People who liked him now seem to like him more.

Over all he made a smart choice.

Sadly, everyone has a skeleton or ten in their closet and I suppose something will be dragged out soon, but overall I must say that I am impressed with her. I have read of one minor scandal and one other thing that seems to be an outright slander. I guess it's started.

She's not bad looking either.

6 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

Isn't she wonderful looking? And smart, and seemingly honest, and dedicated to her family and her State and her country. I love her and I'd hoped it would be her but didn't dare hope too hard!

I just saw on FOX that MSNBC's BREAKING NEWS announcing her selection had the headline "How many houses will Palin add to McCain's ticket?" paraphrasing, but you get the picture. Imagine? THIS is reporting? This is integrity?

Yikes. xx

11:50 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

She is a very high risk choice. Are you really sure that, given McCain's age and health issues, she is prepared to be one heartbeat away from the Presidency? She is the governor of a state that has less popilation than the city of Detroit (under 800,000). Before entering the Governorship (which she has been in office for less than two years) she was the mayor of a town of less than 8,000.
That's like making the manager of the corner Mobil station the head of ExxonMobil because, hey, he's got management experience, right?

Mitt Romney or Tim Pawlenti would have been a much better choice for this independent voter.
They just made my choice for me: Barrack Obama and Joe Biden.

11:37 AM  
Blogger benning said...

Alaska's largest neighbor is not a state but Canada. She has foreign affairs experience. Her next closest neighbor is not a state either but Russia. Oh, yeah, Palin has experience in foreign affairs.

Hell, Tim, if that's all it took for you to decide, you weren't going to vote for McCain anyway. You would've picked apart Romney and Pawlenty, too.

4:05 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

I have to agree with both points of Benning's assessment.

4:37 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

I was really hoping he would pick Romney. It's not the only reason that I'm not voting for McCain. I was seriuosly torn between the two. It would take too long to go into all the reasons. I voted for him in the 2000 primary.
Foreign affairs? Less than two years in office? Dealing with Canada ( I live 1/2 and hour away from it) is more like dealing with another state (let's see if pete in Midland reads this) than another country, and Russia? has she even had a meeting with the Ruskies? I doubt it.
She seems really wacky to me as well. Her kid's names are really kind of wierd. Maybe she'll impress me with her eloquence on the campaign trail.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Oh yeah, there is already a photo of her nude on the internet as well. Forgot to mention that.

5:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home