Saturday, November 08, 2008

Keeping Busy

I'm doing other things besides job hunting.

Of course I make regular trips to Bay City to see my parents but that takes a day or two a week. Dad's doing OK and he just got a powered wheel chair which is something he has been looking forward to.

The City of Nyx is well underway. The first chapter practically wrote itself, but since then it's been a struggle and a constant rewriting as I continue. Knowing what you want to say and actually saying it in a way that is interesting and engaging is difficult. I don't know how Robert Heinlein, CS Lewis, or Anthony Burgess cranked out so many good books.

I am also working on a portrait of my parents which is a learn as you go process, even though I have done portraits in the past (many moons ago). They were always done before in oils and I am using acrylics and it isn't the same at all. The difference in drying time alone makes a big difference and it's easier in some ways (less trouble with bleeding and smearing) and harder in others (like the paint drying out while it's still on your pallet, plus blending, highlighting, and shadowing are not as easy.) Plus the actual technique is different as oil well; it's like having to learn all over again.

7 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

I didn't know you paint, too! Years ago, when I painted a lot, I used mostly acrylics and then, when we moved to paris, I began to paint again after years of not painting and fell in love with oils....so much easier to go back in and work an area again. When it's dry, forget about it. I never had any bleeding or smearing with oils..?

I'm so eager to read your book, honestly! And, I wouldn't worry too much about keeping it interesting and engaging shoprat; don't let this go to your head, but even your comments at blogs are interesting...just let it flow; don't work too hard (smile!)

I'm so glad your Dad got the powered wheelchair....I wish him well.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I have a hard time with oils and am so much more comfortable with acrylics, Shoprat. I guess it's what you're used to.

Portraits are very hard for me. I hope you post the painting when you're done. I should get back to painting. I lost all of my work in a house fire. Perhaps I'll take it up again when I'm no longer doing this blogging thing. I don't have the time for both. I don't see how you do!

Blessings. :)

11:53 AM  
Blogger Tom said...

Looks like I'll be looking for a job soon if everything goes like I think it will...

2:53 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Years ago, I could never get the hang of acrylics or, more importantly, oil. My medium turned out to be line drawing, ink, colored pencils, colored pens. Heavy sigh. Oh, to have the ability to draw like I used to. . .

BZ

4:36 PM  
Blogger The Practicalist said...

You're a regular renaissance man! I'd love to learn oils. I dabbled in art. I mostly draw and sketch cartoons and do some graphic designing.

If your book is anything like your blog, it should be pretty good.

9:42 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

z smearing was a major problem with me and oils. The book will be done and done right.

gayle I have time to do more cuz I'm unemployed at the moment and need to keep busy. Painting isn't something you do all day, but work at a bit and put it aside, work at it a bit and put it aside.

tom all too common of a story. Sorry to hear it.

bz actually I find that pencils are harder to work with because they are much less forgiving.

practicalist. Thanks.

9:58 PM  
Blogger benning said...

"The first chapter practically wrote itself, but since then it's been a struggle and a constant rewriting as I continue." - Stop rewriting! Just write! Let the editing go until you're through. Editing while you're writing is madness.

I gave up painting 30 years ago. It just took too long to finish and be satisfied. Oils to Acrylics, to nothing. :(

Be bold, Shoprat! Write!

5:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home