Saturday, January 24, 2009

Another Day

Thursday afternoon I was reading comments and considering responses when my phone rang. Dad needed a triple bypass. I was out the door in just a few minutes, drove over to our "country estate" where my brother was staying and took off to where Mom and Dad are living.

It was supposed to start at 10AM Friday and take roughly four hours. They started at 11 AM and it took about 6 hours but everything went well. Thanks to the surgeons, staff and chaplain at Bay Regional Hospital.

As my brother and I were headed home a snowstorm hit the Saginaw Valley area and we were driving blind for over 30 miles but we made it all right. The last couple of miles before we got to our old house we saw three cars in the ditch and being pulled out, including one that had crossed the road and was in the ditch on the wrong side. (One needs to consider that there is a fairly popular middle-of-nowhere bar -- that people come 20 to 30 miles to visit - - just a few miles north of the old house so they were probably alcohol related as there were none further away.)

I was planning to spend the night at our old house with my brother and nephews when one of my nephews looked out the window and said "It's not snowing anymore." I looked out and it was a lot less so I went on home.

10 Comments:

Blogger Chuck said...

Glad to hear your father is ok

10:17 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

A triple bypass! I can't imagine how scary that must be. I'm thankful he's okay too, Shoprat.

I can remember driving in the snow. That was before moving to Texas of course. I remember the snow chains before snow tires came along and having to defrost your windows and warm up the engine before you could go anywhere. Somehow I miss all that. I must be nuts! :)

10:22 AM  
Blogger I.H.S. said...

Driving blind in the middle of a snow storm, Yeah that brought back memories of home growing up on Lake Erie. DON'T MISS THAT!

Wonderful your dad is doing alright, I yet have you and your family in my prayers.

Blessings.

12:26 PM  
Blogger dons_mind said...

wow...glad to hear your dad's ok...those bypasses do wonderful things these days...hope his progress is quick and smooth..

1:53 PM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

Glad your Dad is doing well and that you all made it back home safely...I remember those driving conditions..It's best that I stay where I am ... thanks for the reminder...:-)
C-CS

5:53 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Sorry to read about your father, but happy to hear that the surgery was successful.

Give all our best wishes and prayers to your father.

7:39 PM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

Glad things turned out well for your dad.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Average American said...

Glad to hear your Dad's OK. Driving in the blinding snow sucks, I know, being up here in New Hampshire. It is a really nice place, but we call it "God's country" for a reason.

3:35 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

All

Thanks for visiting. He is doing quite well.

8:10 PM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

I know how it is when a parent falls ill. Tough on all in the family.

Glad to hear that your dad is okay now.

7:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home