Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mom and Two Grandmothers

Note: I had meant to post this earlier today but could not find the CD that had a couple of the pictures I wanted on it. Found it after I got home from work.


My maternal Grandmother was born in Malmo Sweden in 1900 and migrated to America as a teenager. In order to pay for her passage to America she worked as a maid for some wealthy folks around Mt. Pleasant Utah. Her mother unfortunately died before the family migrated due to health problems that today are easily managed. Her marriage to my grandfather was her second marriage as her first husband died quite young. Grandpa was 16 years older than her when they married in 1932 and my mother was born 4 years later. (My maternal grandfather was actually born almost 10 years before my paternal Great-Grandfather). She herself died at the age of 40 from a health issue that today is fixed with a daily pill. Of course I never met her, but here is one of three pictures I have of her.








My Paternal Grandmother was born in Flushing Michigan in 1917. My father was her second child (she had 6 children) and was the daughter of a factory worker and a housewife. She started working in a hospital, back when few women worked when they had children, and eventually earned an LPN with no formal Nursing training. (I don't know if that's even possible anymore). By the time she retired she was supervising all of the RNs in the surgical ward and was the surgical nurse of choice for most of the doctors and she learned it the hard way. She was a traveller and quite the cook as well. Sadly I didn't realize how much she loved us until I was older as her displays of love were more practical then affectionate. She died in 89 due to several serious medical problems hitting her simultaneously.









My mother was born and raised in Ogden Utah and married Dad while he was stationed at a Marine Barracks near there. They had known each other 6 weeks when they were married and have been together for 53 years. She had the difficulty of being raised by a widowed father who an old-country Swede but she pretty much turned out alright. She has had four sons (no daughters) and is an official grandma to 8 kids (young adults really except for one) and a grandma at heart to several others as children just seem to gravitate to her and naturally love her.



Correction: I was going on memory (always a mistake) and got my Paternal Grandmother's birthplace wrong. She was born in Tuscola County.

6 Comments:

Blogger Z said...

Boy, if anybody tells you that you don't resemble your maternal grandma, they're not looking! My opinion, anyway!

WHAT a lovely Mother's Day post, Shoprat. I was so interested in all these women, thank you! REALLY enjoyed that.

What you said about your paternal grandmother and how you didn't know she loved you stung me because I felt a little that way about my maternal grandmother.....who also was a wonderful cook and seamstress. She didn't speak English very well and I've always hoped she didn't realize her relative coolness (compared to my dad's mother), though I know she loved us all very much, colored how I reacted to her. I hate that feeling. I hope she knew I loved her.

thanks again...very nice post.

12:42 AM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

It's ever so important to tell those you love how you feel about them because, one day, you'll find an incredible passage of time will have seemingly occurred overnight, whereupon it simply may be too late.

4:16 AM  
Blogger Skip said...

SR.... Great post but Gramma G was born in Tuscola County... I found a piece in an old paper... about Grandmas birth,
Skip

7:34 AM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Very nice posting, Shoprat.

I wish that I knew how to use my scanner. I've got some great family photos.

About your mother: They had known each other 6 weeks when they were married and have been together for 53 years.In those days and sometimes even now, whirlwind romances do work out. My parent's situation was similar, and they stayed married as long as Mom was living. The best marriage I've ever known.

9:17 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

I really enjoyed your trip down memory lane.

10:46 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

Nice post and a fitting tribute to Mother's Day.

7:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home