Monday, June 29, 2009

Groan

I have started three post in the last three days and just can't seem to bring them through.

So I'll just talk about a few things.

We seem to be in a flood of celebrity deaths. My personal response is some sadness over Farah Fawcett, contemplation of a life gone badly wrong with Michael Jackson, and I am ashamed to admit it but, relative indifference to the deaths of Ed McMahon and Billy Mays. I guess Farah Fawcett will always be Jill Monroe to me. An odd thing comes to my mind though as I think about her. She had a bit part in the movie Logan's Run as she was a relative unknown when the movie was made but by the time it had come out her stature had risen so much that she was made a headliner for one five minute scene and a brief second scene that her character didn't even survive. It's amazing how swiftly one's star may rise or fall.



The world was Michael Jackson's for the taking and he blew it. I personally think that much of his problem was the same that inflicts people like Lindsay Lohan and Britney Spears, they achieved fame and wealth before their personal growth was ready for it and it consumed them.


It has been hot the last week or so. Tuesday it was so hot in the plant that the unthinkable happened; management shut down production and sent the crew home. I don't know exactly how hot it got but I know that later that afternoon when I made rounds the temp was over 110ยบ. I couldn't get through the plant and out of it fast enough. They also had to call an ambulance last week. One of our second shift people came in and went straight to our Human Resource Manager and said he needed to go to the emergency room because his chest hurt bad. The HR manager looked at him and asked "Why did you come in? You should have just gone to the emergency room! You know your job is safe!" then he realized that my co-worker was falling and was having a heart attack right in front of him. Call the ambulance. The guy is alright but will be out of work for a few weeks.

We are supposed to be soon buying and driving much smaller cars. Now I have no problem with such cars being manufactured and sold in America so long as it is what the consumer wants. I wouldn't hesitate to invest in a company that made small cars as I believe there is a real and legitimate market for them. I draw the line on the government mandating the production and sales of such cars. Can you see it in the future?

The Future Sport Utility Vehicle.


The future hot sports car.


and of course the future Ford Mustang



(Hat/tip to a friend named Brian)


As far as my family goes. Both my father and my brother were in the hospital last week. Both are in a situation that could best be summed up as Not good but could be a lot worse. All prayers, thoughts and well-wishing is much appreciated. Thank you my friends.

7 Comments:

Blogger dons_mind said...

shoprat - glad to hear that your father and brother are doing well. let's hope their recovery continues to be smooth and healthy....

i agree with you on farrah - although i did have that infamous red swimsuit poster hanging in my room for a long time...

mcmahon was and excellent straight banana! old style comedy at its best. i enjoy the rapport between him and carson...

mj - not much i can say - musical genius with a lousy life...add him to the janis joplin, jimi hendrix, elvis, morrison and all the rest collection - - they're jammin in heaven..

then there's billy mays. and then today i hear that fred travalena and gale storms passed on...

i am not familiar with fred, but certainly do know who gale storms was..

take care in that heat. drink drink drink...(water)!! lol

4:23 PM  
Blogger Z said...

I refuse to admit I know who Gale Storm is (smile)!

The little cars.....ick. But, if the public wants them and IF we make them here, right!

Good luck with your family, Shoprat...we're facing something very concerning here, too.
God bless you all.

xxx

6:08 PM  
Blogger Average American said...

Glad to hear your father and brother are out of the hospital? Did I get that right? Hope their recovery continues to progress.

How much will the Ford Mustang be, any idea? Must get pretty good mileage.

6:20 PM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Shoprat,
Sorry to hear that both your father and your brother are ailing. I'll say a prayer for both of them.

I'm not looking forward to road lice (itsy-bitsy cars) covering our highways and byways. I'm of an age that needs comfort when I'm riding or behind the wheel. I don't drive much (about 75 miles a week, at the most), so I figure that I'm not using up much of my "oil allotment."

BTW, I'll be posting a tribute to Farrah Fawcett tomorrow. I was never a big fan of hers -- until The Burning Bed. More will be explained in my post.

8:59 PM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

Boy- have you had a week ++ of worry=glad you are back to posting and I pray for your father and brother and you!!

Good news-the 2010 Camero is so hot that the V 8 is bringing up $ 2500 more than sticker...!!!

WHERE did you get the photo of the funny looking horse with just the hind legs and a head and neck??!!! ROF LOL
C-CS

10:55 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

Continued prayers for your brother and Dad. Times are nasty for most everyone. These are times when we all need support, mental and otherwise.

BZ

10:41 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

thanks for the prayers for my family. Much appreciated.

4:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home