Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Hello

Yes it's been while and I wish it were otherwise.

What has happened is Mom almost constantly in and out of the hospital and most of my days off are spent in Bay City. Dad, considering that he is paralyzed on one side of his body, is doing remarkably well. It is very difficult for my brother who cares for him and especially for my sister-in-law.

Other things include a minor eye problem. No I'm not going blind or anything but I had reached a point where I couldn't read for more than a couple of minutes without my eyes going into a stinging agony. I've found eye drops that help but for a while I couldn't even really read other peoples' blogs because my eyes hurt after a minute or two. I thought it was simply an allergy but it never went away though it did get noticeably worse after I moved into the country. I got new glasses and that didn't help much but these eye drops are making it noticeably easier.

Just a historical note today. Today is the anniversary of the biggest Great Lakes maritime disaster of my life. Thirty Five years ago today twenty nine men on the largest ore freighter to be plying the Great Lakes were struggling with freezing rain.




The crew of the Edmund Fitzgerald never had a chance. It only took the ship a few seconds to break in half and hit the bottom.

9 Comments:

Blogger dons_mind said...

good to "see" ya back again sr! sorry your mom's in and out - but happy to hear your dad is doing well. used to be a song about the edmund fitzgerald....have to check youtube later and see if i can find it....did the eye docs figure out anything with your eyes - or, just stick with the drops? hope it improves....

8:16 PM  
Blogger Z said...

Hi, Shoprat, thanks for stopping by, it was SO good to see you at geeeZ
What caused the ship to break? Sorry I don't know much about this kind of thing but it broke my heart to see all those names and to think of all the families affected by losing their loved ones. It's important that you should remember; we all should. God bless them.
I'm hoping those drops work better and better,I've had some eye issues myself and it's scary, isn't it!
All the best to your folks; they're so lucky to have you.xxx Z

8:39 PM  
Blogger Beth said...

So sorry to hear about your eye troubles, hope you can get them resolved very soon. Your commentaries have been missed.

8:49 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Good to have you back around.

Z, it went down in a storm. The Great Lakes have treacherous storms. We have a lot of shipwrecks throughout the lakes. In fact, Thunder Bay in Alpena has the highest concentration of shipwrecks I believe in the world.

11:24 PM  
Blogger christian soldier said...

I remember the Edmund Fitzgerald-was still in MI when it happened...Few people know how dangerous our Great Lakes can be...
So glad you are back- take care of your eyes though..
Sorry about your Mother..
Thank your Father for his service-OK..
Carol-CS

1:47 AM  
Blogger Always On Watch said...

Shoprat,
Glad to see that you're okay (except for the eye trouble, that is). I'd been wondering what's been going on with your parents.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Joe said...

I pray your eye issues get better soon.

Good to see you back. Hope its not too long between posts!

12:19 PM  
Blogger Z said...

Chuck, I guess I can't imagine a ship breaking in half as they describe it, but I suppose it does it does happen.

Shoprat, they mentioned this on FOX, I believe it was, on Friday....did a short story on it and how sad it was that no bodies were ever found. I felt quite good that they paid a sort of homage to the men who perished..very nice.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Chuck said...

Z, these are big waves. The waves in this storm were over 30 feet high. I think the theory is that a hatch came open some how, filled with water, and the added weight on top of a large wave caused the ship to crack in half.

6:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home