Sunday, March 12, 2006

Body Piercing Kills (?)

I do not know for certain, and neither do those examining the girls body, but at this point it appears that an infection from a nipple piercing killed a 17 year old girl in Newfoundland.

I know this will offend some readers but I do not like body piercing . . . Period! No, I don't think it should be outlawed, but I do think people need to be educated about the possible dangers (and how to minimize them), and I do believe that every state should limit what a minor can do their body, including tatoos (no minors), piercings (minors limited to ear piercings), and branding (the less said the better).

Not too long ago Mad Magagine had a satire on future body alterations, including cosmetic amputations and interspecies transplants. I wish that was on the net somewhere. I do wonder how far it will go.

I agree with Dr Simon Avis, who is handling this girl's case that: "This is health dollars that are essentially wasted treating infections that shouldn't have occurred because of some desire to have a piece of metal sticking out of your body. It doesn't make much sense to me."

9 Comments:

Blogger juanitagf said...

The crazy things people do to try to be different (or is that to try to be one of the "cool" people). How sad to loose a daughter to something so unnecessary.

1:03 PM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

It's unfortunate no one will even listen to him, he'll be yelling it out on deaf ears in that area. I agree with you, their should be restrictions on minors. A lot of them are very unconcerned about things like infection.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

I used to try not to be prejudiced against people with piercings but over the years realized that I just didn't like them.

I've seen a pic of one guy on the net who has had plastic surgery to make his face look like a tiger including tattoed stripes, a split lip, cat's ears. What a loser.

1:45 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

There is a comic strip named "Zits" which is about a teenager's life. One of the teenager's friends has multiple body piercings. His name? Pierce, of course!! The strip is funny, especially if you have teenagers in the house.

4:07 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

They want to be different (usually the same as each other) and we can't do anything about it. I have a friend (my age) that got her tongue pierced. It was the weirdest situation I could think of. Christian, conservative. She chipped her tooth on it.

7:35 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

jgf sounds like the same reason we did our silly fads when I was younger.

abf of course they won't listen. What generation ever has?

pjc being against stupidity is not predjudice.

tom I think I've seen it.

lp and a&c A&C is right about the origin but I think it has since became a fashion statement.

neo I know a lot of preachers with embarrassing tattoos from younger days.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

I agree with you. All this is just a bit too crazy for me...

And there are serious dangers that teens need to know about.

8:00 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

So what do you think about tattoos? I'm 35 yrs. old and thinking about getting one for the first time.

The problem is my husband is our Youth Pastor and we aren't sure if our church will be able to handle a Youth Pastor's wife with a tattoo :-).

10:46 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

LMC- Don't do it! Unless you are just so ugly that your body has no natual allure (which, I surmise it must, because you are married). When I was in the Guard, everybody got one except me. Why? I was secure in myself and had nothing to prove.

10:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home