Monday, March 06, 2006

Vets From Long Ago.

When I was a boy, there was an older couple who lived across the street from us. The guy was a WWI vet and I remember hearing him talk about it many times; he loved to talk about his war experiences, though to me it was the names of towns, hills, and rivers far away in I-had-no-idea-where. He died quite a few years ago.

We are losing WWII vets at an astounding rate, but there are are only 8 KNOWN WWI vets alive in the USA. (The actual number is unknown because the question about being a WWI is no longer on the census.) There are fewer than 50 WWI vets alive world-wide.

I don't know what astonishes me more. That there are so few or that people live that long.

5 Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony said...

Amazing! Our Veterans are a national treasure. One of the teachers at our school gives the kids an assignment to interview a WWII Vet. I've read some of them. (I've even copied a few.) Very interesting SR. Thanks.

9:46 PM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

One of my great uncles was a WWl vet, and another uncle was in WWll .... I can't forget the stories ... even if they didn't want to talk about it... it felt like you were there ... proud, brave, respectful of freedom, values, and country..... what happened? ... hope it doesn't take something similar to get it back ... :-(

12:48 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

"They were all Captain Americas"

Well Neo, I am Captain America! But still, I'll raise my shield in salute for anyone from WWI who is still alive. I don't know what is more amazing, surviving that meat grinder or outrunning death for an additional 88 years.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Rebekah said...

It's a shame that so many are dying with their stories. Many probably have already died without telling their stories. I know my Grandfather(who was in the Army during Korea) has just now started to talk about his military service.
I'm sure many vets never even talked about it- because they were never asked.
We can't afford to let our heroes die and take their stories with them.

7:20 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

NEO Anyone who would fight in any JUST was is a hero. I'm sure you will agree with that.

LP It is too bad that there are so few WWI vets left - Like Rebekah says, there are many untold stories there.

abf I had an uncle in WWII who was the sole survivor in his platoon. Sadly, it got to him and he was never the same again. (I was never told the whole story and he died 20 years ago).

Tim I too am amazed at how long some of these people have lived. Everyone who survived the sinking of the Titanic and is still alive amounted to 4 people in '04 and every one of them was a baby too young to remember when it happeed.

Rebekah, as I told LP, you are right. It is too bad.

7:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home