Wednesday, March 01, 2006

What Kind of Millionaire

If you won the lottery, what kind of millionaire would you be? The Lansing State Journal asks this question. They offer examples of bad rich people (such as Paris Hilton) and one "good" rich person (George Clooney). Now I am not going to say much about Miss Hilton as I find it difficult to even take her seriously. Secondly, in spite of his charity which is good, I am not so sure about Mr. Clooney either.

If I was a millionaire, I would hope that I would be able to improve the lives of others, not merely by charity (which is good but only a temporary fix at best), but by creating jobs. I don't know if I would succeed, but I seriously hope that is what I would try to do.

I get sick and tired of millionaire entertainers complaining about the greed of millionaire businessmen when most businessmen create jobs. I understand that Oprah was, at one time, making 60 million dollars a year; with that money she could have invested and opened a factory a year creating many, many jobs, having a much greater positive effect than her charities, and had a good financial return as well. Same with the man who is now governor of California. I know it is not easy, and the risk of failure is real, but I would hope that I would be that kind of millionaire. One who creates jobs for others.

Of course I would actually have to have the money to find out if I actually have it in me. That is not likely.

12 Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony said...

SR - We can dream! Creating jobs would be a great idea. I wonder how I could use that money to improve education? Schools that make money as well as offer a great education. Hmmm...

10:02 PM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

Hmmm ... I think I would have to take a long vacation first, then think about this ... creating jobs and giving people a hand up would be the best avenue, but to just give handouts doesn't work for me either. LP could put togethor a program training people on GC labs, and give them a jump start in the chemistry field .. ;-)

11:13 PM  
Blogger juanitagf said...

Yep, AB, a long vacation to think about it! I would help my family first and foremost. How I don't know. I would want to do it by encouraging entrepreneurship, especially with my nices and nephews.

1:50 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

After I sobered up, I'd have to find some kind of business to buy, because I'd be bored sitting at home all day.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Skip said...

Shop Rat....if you win you've got my # right??

9:22 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Oh! I didn't think about the vacation thing. Cozumel would be nice. Oh wait, I'm going there in a few weeks and it only cost me $700. :)y

9:33 PM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

Oh man ... LP .. can ya fit me in the suitcase ... it's really ..really ..really ..really ..really ..really ..really ..really ..really .. cold up here ... (sad puppy dog eyes) ...

Sympathy trip didn't work eh?.... LOL

10:18 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Skip Yes Little Brother, I am sure I could find you. :-) Now what about if YOU win?

LP & jgf Vacation? What is a vacation?

CP Don't give it all away while you celebrate.

abf It'll warm up sooner or later.

A&C Just how big of a compound do you want?

11:43 PM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

I would buy and sell people like chattle...

I'm mean uh, yeah, jobs.
That's what I'd do...

Clooney is an asshat, BTW.

Great post, SR!

8:08 AM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

Give it all away, I said when I sober up, who said anything about sharing :)

11:01 PM  
Blogger Tom said...

Creating jobs is one of the best ways to improve lives. Your comments about entertainers and businessmen brought back the memory of an article about Bill Gates.

No matter what you might think about Bill, he is one sharp person. He has set up a foundation to give out loans for people to start up small businesses. This is one of the reasons that he was named one of Time's People of the Year. I don't have a link, but if you can find a copy of the article, it makes facinating reading.

BTW - I'm linking you on my blog.

3:59 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Thanks tom, I took a look at your's, like it and will be adding it shortly.

12:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home