Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Is This The Start of Something?

In the unlikely but possible event that Senator Joe Lieberman loses to his primary challenger, Ned Lamont, he would seriously consider running as an independent, which polls strongly suggest he would win. It seems he is more popular with Independents and Republicans than he is with Democrats. (Sort of the opposite of John McCain.)

As the extreme left keeps gaining more power in the Democratic Party they will drive the center left out as they are already trying to do. America needs two good parties to choose from, not one barely tolerable (the GOP) and one totally intolerable (the other guys.) I would like to see him run as an Independent to show the need for a good third choice. It would peel the center-left out of the DEMs along with the liberal wing of the GOP with two possibly good results. First it would create a viable alternative to the GOP and secondly with a viable option the GOP would need to clean up its act.

Yes Joe, start the ball rolling.

(Of course if Joe wins the primary, which is likely, this all irrelevant.)

6 Comments:

Blogger ABFreedom said...

I'd like to see you guys with at least three parties as well. It would make for a very interesting election.

8:26 PM  
Blogger Tom C said...

I would vote for Joe, I would also vote for Zell Miller though his age won't let him run.

9:06 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

I'd love to see that happen if he lost the primary. I think he'd end up cleaning up in the general election, and definitely muck with the balance in the Senate.

6:01 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I'm afraid of third partys because of their history of simply drawing votes away from the Republican party. I would be interested in your response to that concern, Shoprat, or anyone else's as well. Whatcha think? I'll be back later on to see if you, or anyone, has answered it. I'm thinking I might need some edjumacation here! :)

2:00 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

gayle
In my lifetime I have seen both parties seriously hurt by 3rd party efforts. In 92 of course Perot hurt Bush Sr while in 68 George Wallace derailed Humphrey by running as a 3rd Party. It can be argued that Ralph Nader cost Al Gore the 2000 election by peeling off just enough votes to hurt him. Typically the more united a party is the less a 3rd party will hurt them.

5:13 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

Joe Lieberman is not my idea of an ideal candidate by far. The only thing admirable about him is that he's getting attacked by the far-left of his party.

He lost my respect when he criticized Bill Clinton but was too afraid to ask him to resign. Then all the moral issues he had taken a stand on w/Bill Bennett he abandoned when he became Al Gore's running mate.

And on the superficial side he reminds me of a muppet on the muppet show :-).

9:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home