Tuesday, July 18, 2006

GM's Turn Around

The big news in the area is the proposed partnership between GM, Nissan and Renault but behind it all is the news that GM has turned the corner. In spite of the buyouts and that cost, GM could still make a profit this quarter. That is good news, especially for those who still have jobs at GM and associated companies.

I was talking to my boss today and he is of the opinion that a big share of GM's problems are bad PR and bad press, especially compared to what Japanese companies get and that newer GM designs are, in most areas, as good or better than Japanese, European and Korean products but people don't trust them because of years of inferior products. I would need to see more documentation on this before I say he is definitely right but there is probably some truth to it.

I'm just glad that my company does a lot of work for Chrysler and Toyota (as well as GM).

What does this mean for Michigan? A total tanking of GM would have been catastrophic for, not only Michigan, but for the country. That concern is fading a little bit and that is good news.

3 Comments:

Blogger Rebekah said...

Well, I don't really know anything about that... oh, well. Hi, Shoprat. ;)

3:28 PM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

Good to hear Shoprat ... it's a start at least.

9:46 PM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

God, I hope they are turning the corner.

I think the argument about bad PR is right on, BTW.

10:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home