Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Something On My Mind

A co-worker of mine is getting his heart worked on today. He is about 42 and has already had two major heart attacks, including one where they had to zap his heart several times to get it going again. Apparently he had another one while we were laid off for change-over. I am quite concerned about him.

But to be honest, it is largely his own doing. He is about 5'8" or 5'7" and is pushing 350 pounds. We get a break every 2 1/2 hours and while most of us eat either nothing or a small amount, this guy eats a full meal at every break, and it ain't health food.

I am no big fan of health food, but I also try to limit the grease, salt, and sugar I take in (but I do love meat, though I avoid fatty cuts and pork).

His nickname at work (and we all have them) is "Carcass" and has been for as long as I've known him. I really hope and pray it does not become reality.

I just wonder why somebody would have to eat so much and so constantly. It can't be hunger. Oh well. I just hope and pray he pulls through and decides to make some changes.

7 Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony said...

Maybe it's his way of feeding an emptiness in his soul. Filling a void.

10:38 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

The strange thing I've noticed is that some people get full on small amounts and others don't. I have a high metabolism and I get full quickly thus I don't overeat. My husband can eat and eat. He was over 300 lbs. but has recently been working very hard at losing weight and has lost over 50 lbs. But it is really, really hard work for him. He has to eat really healthy and work-out really hard.

12:17 PM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

He has my prayers.
Hope it goes well.

8:20 PM  
Blogger Crazy Politico said...

LP is probably on the right track. I know some folks who use food as their crutch for dealing with other problems.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

My dad dug his grave with his teeth, weighed over 300lbs and died at 57 of a heart attack. When I had a heart attack at the age of 57, I thought "Oops, here I go too" but I survived with 3 stents in my heart. Fortunately I did not pig out like my dad and have never been obese but bad hearts do run in families too.

1:11 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

LP- Some people fill the void with liquor, some with drugs, others with food. I fill mine with God, family and friends.
Shoprat- As you know, I repair heart/lung bypass equipment and see this stuff all of the time. People needing my equipment and the medical staff that use it due to obesity, smoking, sedentary lifestyle. Get him a subscription to "Men's Health" magazine. There is also a great book by the current governor of Arkansas (Can't remember his name, think it is Mike Huckman or Heckman) called "Stop digging your grave with a knife and fork". He was over 300lbs and his doctor said that he was not going to be re-elected because he would be dead if he didn't lose over 100 lbs.
If your friend smokes, he needs to stop immediately! You can be obese, diabetic, high cholesteral, and have a family history of heart attack and statisically you are still better off than a person who has none of these buts smokes. It really is the worst legal thing that you can do to yourself. Sorry to go on and on, but I really believe in this.

2:31 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

PJC- M dad died at 56 after his second heart attack. I'm going to be 45 in Sept. and sure hope I get more than 11 more years! He smoked and drank heavily, and exercise to him was a dirty word. To me, exercise is medicine. When I exercise, I generally feel better throughout the day (except for those aches and pains that us over 40 people get from overdoing it because we are being macho and acting like we are 18! Stooopid macho guys!)

2:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home