Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Fireflies

Last night at the festivities I was distracted from the fireworks as I gazed over by the river. Fireflies, looked like millions of dancing sparks but it was probably just a few thousand.

They are so beautiful and so amazing.

Far more fascinating then fireworks.

Yet even more amazing is that one can look at them and not notice the Creator's signature. It is an excellent species survival technique yet it makes no sense in terms of evolution. How in the world did this bug simultaneously create the ability and the need for this little beacon.

Insects are often considered more primitive than mammals, yet no warm blooded species has anything like this.

Even with our technical know-how we have difficulty creating cold light. Ah... but the things we could do with it if we could master it.

8 Comments:

Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

His signature is everywhere, if on bothers to look.

We have a bumper crop of the luminous critters ourselves, this year.

5:44 AM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

That should have said "if one", not "on one".

5:44 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

We have quite a few fireflies here too. The are amazing!

God outdoes us on all fronts, and why wouldn't He? Another insect that amazes me is the ant. Talk about workaholics! :)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

When I was in the Guard, the guys who smoked pot at night would go out on the back of the boat when we were underway and when someone would come along who was not "cool" they would flick their joint into the water. When the "uncool" person asked what that was, they would say "Dude, that's fireflys off the fantail..."

Insects are fascinating. I think that eventually they (maybe they are the meek) will inherit the Earth.

10:58 AM  
Blogger ABFreedom said...

Get very few of them here... summers to short, but they are the topic of conversation when they do show up...

11:27 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

We don't get fireflies on the West Coast - the nights are too cool. I sure miss them. They were my favorites as a kid.

3:22 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

UPDATE:While enjoying the sunset yesterday by the river in my backyard, smoking my CUBAN cigar (I love living so close to Canada)I was also entertained by a host of fireflies who I think were attracted by the glow of the cigar. One even landed next to me on the picnic table and pulsed his bright green signal as if wanting to mate with my cigar. God's creation is so wonderful. We are blessed that have the eyes to see...

10:39 AM  
Blogger shoprat said...

It is a blessing tim.

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home