Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The New Superman Movie

Just got back from seeing it and man what a ride! A world class roller coaster ride.

Great plot. Great acting. Special effects are just amazing.

If you consider Clark Kent and Superman as distinct characters I would say that Christopher Reeves was a better Superman (the guy with the cape), but I think as Clark Kent, Brandon Routh was much better than Reeves (the guy with the glasses.) (I know you know who they are but I'm feeling like a wiseguy right now!). I also have to say Kate Bosworth is a much better Lois Lane then Margot Kidder was (but I think a lot of that may have been the script -- they treated her as an idiot with a good job in the 70s-80s). However, Gene Hackman was a much better Lex Luthor.

The woman you love is with another man, and what makes it worse, is he is a decent guy and you want to like him and you want to hate him. Been there, done that. Now Superman gets a taste of it.

Go see the movie. If you have a weak heart take your medication with you.

At Tim's Blogspot we had a bit of a discussion about the meanings of the names Kal El and Jor El. I suggest you go there and read the post and the comments. (Kal El and Jor El both have a definite meaning in Hebrew. Kal El means "All God" and Jor El means "True God".) While there appears to be a parallel to Jesus in the words, it makes no sense, because the teenage boys who created Superman were Jewish. Yet they must have known the meanings of those words. (Unless this was added later by someone else.)

Officially in Kryptonese "El" means "Star" which is curiously what the word "El" means in Elven in Tolkien's writings. (The elves call themselves Eldar which means "Star People") Sadly, the link that gave me that info has "exceeded its data transfer limit." so you'll just have to take my word for it or look it up elsewhere. sigh.

One question though. If lead shields kryptonite (as it did in the comix), why doesn't Superman just get his tights lined with lead?

Update: 10:48 Best Line in the movie (Superman to Lois Lane): You say earth needs no savior (pointing to Metropolis) yet everyday I hear them crying for one.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lone Pony said...

Great review! I'm going to take my little sister to this one! You recommended Narnia and it was fantastic, so I know this will be good. About the lead...because that would mess up the script.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Thanks for the hat tip SR, I actually thought Brandon Routh was better than Chris Reeve in both parts of the role, though I liked Reeve's portrayal very much. Kevin Spacey was less of a ham than Gene Hackman, who is really been chewing on the scenery (Crimson Tide) for years. Still, Hackman was good, but Spacey played Luthor with a welcome restraint.
Your last line is so true. Things are so messed up in the world today that people are hungry for larger than life Supermen who will return and set it all right again.

11:06 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Okay - it's on my list.

3:24 AM  
Blogger juanitagf said...

Okay, I'll see it!

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home