Sunday, September 03, 2006

Blogger Nation

The Detroit News, last Thursday (running a bit behind here), had an article on blogging that I kind of liked, but it also had me rolling my eyes a little.

It gives some statistics that are pretty much available anywhere. The average blogger is under 30 (I'm not) and suburban (I am small town) and white (finally). There are also 75,000 new blogs created daily. That's quite a few.

A big question they ask is why do people blog and you know, I don't know if I could really answer if I was asked why I created my blog. I guess there are several reasons, including most of the offered answers (creative outlet, make opinions known, cut down on e-mails etc.)

Companies large and small are creating blogs to connect them to clients and customers.

Politicians are relying on them more and more.

And the MSM and Academia?

Some sociologists caution that tools like blogs -- that give people the power to choose what information they are exposed to -- will whittle away at our grounds for common conversation.

"The news, which has served to be a conversation starter, won't be the same for everyone," said Jim Witte, a Clemson University professor of sociology who chairs a section of the American Sociological Society about communication information technology. In other words, the days when everyone heard what Walter Cronkite had to say are over.

They must miss the day when they decided what we knew and could control our available information. Thanks to blogging the modern day Walter Cronkites have competition. I say "Thank God!" and thanks to blogging.

3 Comments:

Blogger ABFreedom said...

I say thank God as well ... All you have to do is read John Stossel's Myths, Lies, and Downright Stupidity to understand what media will try to feed ya, and he should know, and even bashes himself for past stories.

i don't fit the sterotype either all that well, and find it really tough to believe the 75K figure. If thats the case, how come the amount in TTLB isn't increasing. There should be at least some type of affect, so i say get the shovel out... that's bull.

9:23 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I've learned far more about politics - both US and internationally - from blogging than I ever did from the MSM.

I began political blogging when I first heard the MSM bitching about it. I figured if they didn't like it then it must be a wonderful thing! I was right... it is! :)

11:14 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I know I do my best at times to upset the extremely liberal left minded folks at times. It's almost like warfare in my case. A Marine without conflict is so unnatural anyway. So naturally I can strike a nerve or two here and there. Can't we all? Gotta love it no doubt.

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home