Sunday, November 26, 2006

It's a Game For Crying Out Loud

In spite of the fact that Christians are supposed to fear it as a great evil, I have in the past played Dungeons & Dragons, and have fond memories of it. While it can possibly be used for occult purposes, the game itself is as good or evil as the people who are playing it. (I have watched both Christians and seriously-twisted non-Christians play and the two mindsets play by the same written rules but seem to play two different games. Christian groups tend to play good guys and heros on heroic quests while that particular non-Christian group acted out sadistic fantasies that turned my stomach) The game reflects the mind and mindset of the people playing it. (Out of the good-hearted come good things and out of the evil hearted - ugh let's try and forget what they were doing.)

I was of the opinion that fear of the game had somewhat relaxed over the last few years, but apparently not. In Israel, playing the game causes great concern amongst the military minds who automatically give lower clearances to people who play the game.

OK, I have seen a few nutjobs who should never have been allowed anywhere near the gaming table. However most gamers eventually abandon the game (as I have) as they grow and change. I do not consider it evil, it's just something I don't do anymore. If we took a survey of people who played AD&D regularly at some point in their lives, we would probably come up with a cross-section of your average American, maybe averaging a bit more literate and intelligent than America as a whole.

It also encourages reading, writing and basic math, problem solving, critical thinking, communication skills, and imagination. In the proper doses it is a good learning tool.

The only caveat is to keep those who can't or won't seperate fantasy from reality away from the gaming table. Trust me! You don't want those people playing!

I think the Israeli military is makiing a mistake.

4 Comments:

Blogger Ebyjo said...

Well, I have found this to be true. The bible doesn't cause people to go crazy. Harry Potter doesn't make you a warlock or witch. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe doesnt make you see talking animals. If you are nuts, your nuts no matter what you read...or play.

7:37 AM  
Blogger BB-Idaho said...

Never got much beyond chess, but understand some of these games are very addictive. On the bright side, a HS friend of our daughter was very much into D&D, goth music, and other electronic mayem.
Now, years later, she is a marketing exec with one of the major electronic game companies!

10:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd have to agree with Ebyjo's statement, LOL go figure... "Yes dear."

I played it as a kid. I enjoyed the problem solving aspects of it and other examples you gave that is actually good brain food. But I was never overly obsessed with it. When I quit I didn't miss it.

What in the world is the Israeli military thinking on this one? Yeah I'd agree also that it is a mistake...

3:49 PM  
Blogger Tim said...

Rolling my eyes! I am so tired of this stuff. I actually have relatives that will not let their kids celebrate Halloween or read Harry Potter because they are "the Devil's work".

12:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home