Monday, January 15, 2007

It's Still Illegal in Michigan

I have always assumed that Michigan had joined the "civilized" cough . . . cough world and decriminalized adultery. I guess I was mistaken. Glad to admit it.

I don't know that I want people spending their life in prison (or being stoned) for it, but it is good that is on the books as a crime. Even a law that is seldom enforced says that society does not consider this to be acceptable behavior. I would favor keeping the law but only enforcing it when

a) a cheated upon spouse who has been absolutely faithful demands it

b) someone is being exceptionally flagrant about it.

or

c) when other criminal activities are involved.

We need to take marriage and marital fidelity more seriously than we do.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

From reading this, it sounds like maybe this wasn't the first time this guy did this if he was swapping drugs for sex. Although it seems a bit extreme, it sounds like he deserved it. The waitress, and the wife, should go get tested for HIV.

11:14 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I agree that we need to take marriage more seriously but I don't know about still having the law.

3:03 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

I have been married for 20 years, and I don't need a LAW to tell me what to do. Maybe church going should also be compulsory. SR, this is the 21st century, not the 19th. If Michigan's Atty. Gen. (an admitted adulterer, and a Republican, too) prosecutes this it is the height of hipocracy. Yes, he should go to jail for dealing drugs. No, he should not get life for CSC. That should be reserved for rape, not two consenting people.

7:58 AM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

Perhaps if this was enforced more, people would think twice before having sex with someone other than their spouse and then having sex with their spouse afterwards. Or, maybe they would divorce the person they're married to before they do. But then, you get into whose interpretation of adultery should be used.

10:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home