Saturday, January 06, 2007

Theocracy?

So Mitt Romney wants to run for president and this brings up new questions.

Could a faithful Mormon properly be President of the United States.

Some on the left (and right) are concerned that, because Mormons believe their church president is the mouthpeice of God, it would turn America into a theocracy. You remember of course that John Kennedy faced the same questions about the Papacy. While I question the reasons of some of the questioners, the question remains valid.

What is a theocracy?

The ACLU seems to think that laws that reflect religious tradition are theocracy, a definition that I consider a crock. A government is a theocracy when religious authorities have veto power over government policy and election results.

I do not know where Mitt Romney stands on the issues so I don't know if I could vote for him or not (even though his father, George Romney, was a fairly good governor here in Michigan). My question for any Presidential candidate would be, would you go against the wishes of your church President.

Personally I believe that church can and should be the moral guide of society as a whole and the government, but church leaders don't always understand foreign policy or economics and as such, should stick to what they know - - right and wrong.

I feel that some, but not all, of Romney's religious critics don't believe that anyone who takes a traditionalist religion seriously is qualified for the presidency which creates a religious test for the president of a different source. Personally, I don't believe the American people would ever vote in a true religious fanatic.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know what the problem is. We all believe in something. even atheists(they believe that they shouldn't believe in anything). You have many checks and balances put in place by your forefathers specifically designed to counter balance any extremes, so I don't see him being a problem. Let the people decide.

1:17 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

My problems with Romney have nothing to do with his religion. Mormons are usually more conservative so I think from that aspect it would be a benefit. My concern is I have a friend in Massachusetts politics that knows him well and knows he isn't a genuine conservative. That said if my choices were either him or McCain I'd pick him but that isn't saying much.

7:00 PM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

I'd just like to get one president that follows and protects the Constitution.

But maybe that's asking too much...

7:56 PM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I agree with LMC... let the people decide, and we know they will! I also believe that any candidate who prays and believes in God would be unacceptable to the left, other than Muslims; they don't seem to have any problem with them! That's really a huge problem for me. Trying to understand it sort of fries my poor brain.

Any extremist of any sort should not be in government, period!

10:47 PM  
Blogger Lone Pony said...

I think the conservative guy has a good point. I've had problems with religious fanatics and it seems to permeate all areas of their lives. Like...they can't see reality.

6:08 AM  
Blogger Tim said...

I personally would not vote for a Mormon for president. I think that they are a cult and not truly of the body of Christianity. I also feel that way about the JW's Moonies, and other fringe groups that try to hijack the Christian message. I would vote for a Christian, Jew, or Muslim for national office,as long as thier religious convictions were not fanatical like Pat Robertson. If Mitt Romney runs for president, I believe he will be defeated.
I voted for Gore/Lieberman in 2000, but feel that there were people who would elect a Jew to national office, which is why we got Bush/Cheney.

11:58 AM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

I didn't care about Jews, I just didn't want an insane moron as president.

Isn't the whole "my guy didn't win because people are racists" a little tired now?

9:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home