Monday, July 23, 2007

So Let's Do It Legally

It seems that a lot of farmers want migrant workers because Americans won't do the hard, labor intensive, relatively low pay work in the hot sun. Fair enough but let's do it legally and with some sense of order.

I am not worried about the ones that come here to honestly work and are willing to work within our system. It's the troublemakers and parasites that come mixed in with them that I am concerned about. (Gang members, "reconquistodors", Islamic terrorists, welfare hunters etc.) These are the ones we need to keep out and the joke of a reform bill offered by congress was not the answer.

If they want to come to America to work then they should enter legally. They need to understand some basic rules and follow them.

1. They need to obey the law and pay taxes on their income.

2. The authorities need to know where they are, who they are working for, and what they are doing.

3. The wages being paid must be non-exploitive, though it doesn't have to be union wages.

4. Those who seriously violate the law must be deported and never be allowed back in.

5. We must be allowed to do a background check on them and if they do not want background checks they don't need to be here.

6. Those who intend to spend a lot of time here MUST learn English.

However first things first. We need to seal the border and get the migrant worker situation under control then we can be a little bit tolerant of those who are willing to play by the rules and those who feel like they can ignore our laws can go home and stay there.

It's kind of curious, and I don't know if Sid Meiers who created Civilization III has a sense of humor or if I am just kidding myself, but it seems to me that when I play the Americans, and the Aztecs border me, I invariably have to put a single unit on every square of my border with the Aztecs to keep them out of my territory and wandering around at will, but not doing anything. I don't have to do that with any other nation.

4 Comments:

Blogger Gayle said...

I've never played "Civilization" but I do see the correlation here. Interesting coincidence, isn't it?

12:32 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Shoprat for President!

2:58 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

jay I'd lose.

9:50 PM  
Blogger Jay said...

Maybe, but you'd get my vote.

11:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home