Tuesday, October 16, 2007

China's Mad

China's mad
And I'm glad!


I do not share the religious beliefs of the Dalai Lama but I find him to be an intelligent, honest, thoughtful and decent man. (The thought that he is somehow divine is absurd but it has been hammered into him from his earliest childhood.)

Our president and congress have both honored him (and while I would not reverence him I would treat him with sincere respect). China is having a little fit that we are honoring a separatist. Well what if we are. Tibet was invaded and conquered and has no meaningful self-rule. The Dalai Lama is the rightful ruler of that nation by long-held tradition.

If China does not like it, that's too bad. Bush has bent over backwards to please the Chinese (much farther than he should have) and Clinton was in China's pay - - which was his real crime while in office. Morally speaking, we owe China nothing (except some money) and if they get mad at us too bad. China has no right to tell us what to do. If we upset them, well they upset us at Tian'anmen Square.

We know each other, and we have developed, I think, a very close friendship - something like a reunion of one family," the Dalai Lama said, speaking of Bush.


9 Comments:

Blogger dons_mind said...

agree with ya on this one...we were talking in the office today about the President meeting the Dalai Lama - - would have loved to have been a fly on the wall in that room - would love to hear those talks...

as for china - - tough -- they'll get over it!

9:50 PM  
Blogger Goat said...

Those funny commies want to control Budhist reincarnation now, I thought they didn't believe in religion so how can they control something they don't believe exists. Leave it to the Chi-coms to invent a way.

11:43 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Yes, he does seem like a nice man but he's got a cult following of New Age loons in the West. Trouble is they don't fight for Tibet's freedom.

1:21 AM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

But Tibet is still not going anywhere and China will relinquish its grip on Tibet when it relinquishes Taiwan. Which is to say: never.

BZ

10:43 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

I agree with you, Shoprat. At the risk of being quite unladylike here, all I have to say is SCREW CHINA!

3:29 PM  
Blogger Nightcrawler said...

I love flipping the bird to the Chi-Coms. Makes me happy!

4:06 PM  
Blogger AmPowerBlog said...

Actually, China's having its party congress this week, so they need to have an issue to distract them from the authoritarian resistance to reform!

1:24 PM  
Blogger The Conservative UAW Guy said...

Gayle beat me to the punch.
I would concur.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Dionne said...

I'm for anything that ticks off the Chinese ;-).

I'm still upset at how we just look the other way when they commit horrible human rights' abuses.

7:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home