Saturday, December 08, 2007

What I Want in a President

I have not spoken much about this because, quite frankly, I am discouraged.

On one side, there isn't an ounce of common sense in the entire Democratic field.

On the other side, there isn't a whole lot more in the GOP field.

What I want.

Acid Test Will appoint strict-constructionist justices to the courts. The Constitution specifically outlines the responsibilities of the Federal government and gives specific rights to the individuals. The states are absolutely sovereign on any issue not specifically mentioned in the Constitution. There is no other honest way to interpret the Constitution. The "Living Document" doctrine is nothing but a high-sounding excuse to ignore the Constitution. A lot of our problems and needless political divisions comes from the Feds, especially unelected bureaucrats, seriously overstepping the bounds of the Constitution. If the Feds need to do something that is not allowed by the Constitution, there is Constitutional means of amending it.

Acid Test Will defend the sovereignty, territorial integrity and cultural unity of this nation and its constituent states. By cultural I mean language, acceptable public behavior etc. A president must put America ahead of the UN, NATO, NAFTA, etc. We may remain part of these organizations but we make the final decision on what we do. We can and should work with other countries but our own interests come first.

Acid Test Recognizes the first amendment as primarily the right to tell the truth and state honestly held opinions (even if it is offensive to official victim groups) and will defend it as such. Recognizes the second amendment as an individual right to arm themselves.

Acid Test Recognizes that militant Islam is, at this point in time, the biggest threat America faces. (Though we do have other threats such as illegal immigration that also need to be dealt with and cannot be ignored.)

I do not expect a saint but I do expect a person to be a cut above the average in personal integrity. Everyone has a few skeletons in their closet, but when their closet is graveyard we have real problems.

I prefer but do not demand

An honorably discharged or retired veteran of the armed forces.

A person who has raised a family (disqualifies me but that's alright - - I'm not running!)

A person who has worked in both the private and public sector, preferably one has profitably run a real business. (If you can't run a business how the heck can you run a country.)

Finally
They can't be from Mars or Venus (which eliminates Mr Paul.)

No one like that on the horizon. I will vote for the lesser of two evils again (which generally means GOP).

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eliminates Romney too in my book, that mormon stuff is just too weird.

Take away the religious aspect of it, [no it shouldn't matter] and he's still a moonbat, because if you believe in that stuff you gotta be out there on some other things as well.

At least Paul is a Christian, still a moonbat, but a Christian.

10:48 PM  
Blogger dons_mind said...

i find myself in agreement with you shoprat. problem is does anyone fit the acidity - - i'd suggest there's a couple who closely ressemble, a couple who spout ressemblance but probably won't (or can't) live up to it, and a couple who think they resemble but are missing the big picture, and a couple who aren't from here in the first place....

hope you're feeling better - - i'm alright unless i try to stand up or turn my head..then that balance thing kicks in and i fall down again... lol lol i should start drinking again, then this would be normal :) :)

10:49 AM  
Blogger KurtP said...

I agree with pretty much all that you said.
I've voted for the lesser of two evils for a long time, but still- I'm tired of HAVINg to vote for evil.

I'm almost tempted to sit this one out.

10:58 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

I'm still a Fred enthusiast. He may not have been in the military but he has experience in private business and government and...well I won't go on. I'll save that for my blog.

1:24 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

gunz I really don't want ron paul either. Even Christians can be goofy which I know first hand.

dm I am feeling much better thanks

kurtp Don't sit it out. Hillary is far too dangerous to our freedom and survival.

pjc He appears to be the best of the bunch. He says the right things but where is his track record to show what he actually does. If he is on the ballot for the Michigan primary, at the moment he has my vote. But I am not terribly enthused about him.

7:17 PM  
Blogger Bob's Blog said...

Good post. I am with you right down the line.

10:22 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

A good batch of tenets! And Kurtp: please DON'T sit this one out! Show up and check the (R)!

BZ

11:16 AM  
Blogger Joubert said...

Shoprat, Fred has a pretty good record in the Senate. Like our Founders, he's a team player and surrounds himself with good advisors.

2:09 AM  
Blogger Dionne said...

A good list shoprat. I liked your line about how they couldn't be from Mars or Venus so that eliminates Paul. LOL :-)

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home