Saturday, November 24, 2007

Ban The Fireplace!

Sigh . . . Only in San Francisco

A major source of air pollution:

The two major sources of PM in the Bay Area are wood burning in fireplaces and woodstoves, and motor vehicles.

No reference to industrial pollutants huh?

I look at their FAQ page and my question is missing; "Are you crazy?" They take themselves too seriously to even consider that one. (In case your curious there is no doubt that I am firing on one less cylinder than I should :-) )

Movie Stars and appropriately aligned politicians can fly around in private jets, creating more pollution than any working class stiff, but don't light up the fireplace.

I don't know how serious these people are but the fact that they are even considering it is hard on one's nerves.

Put more pollution in the air or freeze to death in one's own home. Nice choice.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This issue has to be at least partly symbolic -- it doesn't really get that cold in the Bay Area that often. That's one reason why it's a Mecca for homeless people.

While those of us in the midwest and on the east coast are facing temps in the 30s, 20s and below, residents of the Bay Area are dealing with high 50s and 60s, or warmer temperatures.

California lawmakers are as liberal as politicians can get: hotels even have to post signs, where you enter their lobbies, that they use chemicals (I never figured out what for, possibly cleaning compounds) that the State of California considers possibly hazardous to your health.

During the years, on and off, that I lived in San Francisco, heating the home never made any significant difference in my utility bills and I never had a fireplace while I lived there.

7:24 PM  
Blogger shoprat said...

Symbolic or a serious act.

It is still absurd.

8:44 PM  
Blogger Bloviating Zeppelin said...

C'mon Shop, THINK about your own comment: "No reference to industrial pollutants huh?" SF has ALREADY driven industry away.

BZ

8:57 AM  
Blogger Gayle said...

This is a real coincidence, Shoprat. I just finished starting the first fire of the season in my fireplace because suddenly it has turned cold in Central Texas! Then I click onto your post. LOL!

Yes, let's ban fireplaces and some people will freeze to death, and use one square of toilet paper and some people will forget to wash their hands and become deathly ill. Let's keep people from growing crops on their property because of an endagered bug, and lets... nevermind. I can't think of it all! The list of the things these wackos want to do away with or "minimize" for the "good of the planet" and to the detriment of people is too darned long!

I think I'll try to keep a record of all their foolishness and make a list. It would make for an interesting post.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Joubert said...

As Seth said it seldom gets that cold in SF but I used to love my fireplace. A fire is very soothing. But I had to get out because the socalled liberals in SF have turned into Nazi control freaks. This is all about control - as is the whole environazi scam.

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home